Author Topic: [To be added]President-related suggestions  (Read 4743 times)

Offline YoMama

• VIP
  • Score: 24630
[To be added]President-related suggestions
« on: January 17, 2018, 11:03:52 am »
I've got a few:
  • I often find myself typing /intel, /track <president>, /stats <president>, /sb, and checking who the VP is with the tab menu when I enter the server and/or want to attack the President. It would make sense to make a lot of that information available in one place. The /intel command should include relevant information that is in "/track <president's ID>", like his health/armor, ping (useful for DBing him), etc. Showing the President's record (survivals/deaths), maybe the number of security and the name of the VP, would be cool too.
  • The /rc v command should tell you how much longer you have to wait to become President again if you're prevented from becoming VP by the time-between-presidencies timer, instead of just failing.
  • When no one has taken President at the beginning of the map, eventually the "/rc p to become President!" announcement comes up and anyone can become President, even if they would otherwise be limited by the timer. The problem is, this isn't very attractive to people who feel that being President in an unattractive map would be a waste of their time to be President if they'd rather be President in another map. For example, I might be a good enough President to survive in NSA, but I might want to wait for FC, so I don't do /rc p so I am guaranteed to have that option later. Maybe everyone who could survive in NSA does this, which means that eventually someone with no chance does /rc p and a cycle of dying Presidents happens. I think this is kind of silly. I suggest that this be changed so a Presidency from /rc p doesn't count against a player's time-between-presidencies timer or maybe even resets it- so someone waiting on a map can /rc p if no one is brave enough to take President, then they still have an opportunity to be President in the next map as a reward for stepping up.
  • Some kind of /nextmaps command which shows the next few maps in the rotation would also be nice, or perhaps just an announcement on the mainchat that lets everyone know what the next map will be. I can't really think of a good reason to hide this information from players, particularly when people will probably more aggressively play the gamemode if they know what they're playing for (for example, people who hate the next map will be terrorists, people who want it will try to help the President survive).
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 03:17:14 pm by Jonne »

Offline Shark_The_Helicopter

• Score: Unknown
  • pablo dicasso
Re: President-related suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 11:33:02 am »
The /intel command should include relevant information that is in "/track <president's ID>", like his health/armor, ping (useful for DBing him), etc.Showing the President's record (survivals/deaths)

+1.
maybe the number of security and the name of the VP, would be cool too.

+1 To the security one,helps in planning.

Eh..I don't believe the VP name is really needed. Unnecessary clutter.

The /rc v command should tell you how much longer you have to wait to become President again if you're prevented from becoming VP by the time-between-presidencies timer, instead of just failing

+1.

I suggest that this be changed so a Presidency from /rc p doesn't count against a player's time-between-presidencies timer or maybe even resets it- so someone waiting on a map can /rc p if no one is brave enough to take President, then they still have an opportunity to be President in the next map as a reward for stepping up.

But Doesn't this allow for resetting the timer by two times if a player has been president for previous map? :-\

And the fact NSA isn't the only other map. Combined this with your next point makes it easy for President whores to choose which map to go and which to not to suit their needs.

For that possibility -1 unless you convince me otherwise.

+1
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 12:30:35 pm by Lohit_The_Noob »
%

Offline YoMama

• VIP
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 12:10:42 pm »
But Doesn't this allow for resetting the timer by two times if a player has been president for previous map? :-\

And the fact NSA isn't the only other map. Combined this with your next point makes it easy for President whores to choose which map to go and which to not to suit their needs.

For that possibility -1 unless you convince me otherwise.
I'm not sure I understand what you're worried about- if you're concerned that someone could be President two times in a row, my question is, what's the problem? They wouldn't get any special privileges in the next map. They'd still have to be fastest to click "spawn". They'd still have to wait a minute in the beginning for /rc p to even be allowed. I think the current system doesn't really give much of an incentive to be President in unattractive maps.

As I see it, the most extreme case likely to happen is that someone becomes President through /rc p after a minute of no one showing interest, then the next map they're fast enough to take President again, then in the map after that someone will probably take President before they can /rc p again. If they can be President a bunch of times this way, then the server is probably at a very low player count, which is when weird shit happens anyway, like no President at all for 10 minutes.

I also don't see what's wrong with being a President repeatedly, particularly in the extremely limited way this would allow. If someone does /rc p, then it should be a win-win for the server and the President. With my change, the server gets a President who wants to be President, so the GM makes sense (instead of devolving into Red vs Blue and Green), and the President gets a shot at another presidency in a nicer map. Since the President can possibly get another shot in the next map, they might do something more interesting in the current one (like not going directly into Area 69 in NSA and instead trying something risky). At the moment, the President gets sort of screwed for doing the server a favor.

Even in the unlikely event that someone ends up being President a few times in a row, it's not the end of the world. Anyone who remembers Tenshi's server probably had an experience with Nicolae_Ceausescu or DILMA_BR being President for hours on end, multiple times per map, back when reconnecting let you do that. The only way to stop it was to be President yourself. This system wouldn't allow it forever, unless there is truly no one else interested in being President (which is how it should be).

Offline Shark_The_Helicopter

• Score: Unknown
  • pablo dicasso
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 12:29:00 pm »
I'm not sure I understand what you're worried about- if you're concerned that someone could be President two times in a row, my question is, what's the problem? They wouldn't get any special privileges in the next map. They'd still have to be fastest to click "spawn". They'd still have to wait a minute in the beginning for /rc p to even be allowed. I think the current system doesn't really give much of an incentive to be President in unattractive maps.

As I see it, the most extreme case likely to happen is that someone becomes President through /rc p after a minute of no one showing interest, then the next map they're fast enough to take President again, then in the map after that someone will probably take President before they can /rc p again. If they can be President a bunch of times this way, then the server is probably at a very low player count, which is when weird shit happens anyway, like no President at all for 10 minutes.

I also don't see what's wrong with being a President repeatedly, particularly in the extremely limited way this would allow. If someone does /rc p, then it should be a win-win for the server and the President. With my change, the server gets a President who wants to be President, so the GM makes sense (instead of devolving into Red vs Blue and Green), and the President gets a shot at another presidency in a nicer map. Since the President can possibly get another shot in the next map, they might do something more interesting in the current one (like not going directly into Area 69 in NSA and instead trying something risky). At the moment, the President gets sort of screwed for doing the server a favor.

Even in the unlikely event that someone ends up being President a few times in a row, it's not the end of the world. Anyone who remembers Tenshi's server probably had an experience with Nicolae_Ceausescu or DILMA_BR being President for hours on end, multiple times per map, back when reconnecting let you do that. The only way to stop it was to be President yourself. This system wouldn't allow it forever, unless there is truly no one else interested in being President (which is how it should be).

I didn't realize that intially. How stupid of me lol

Thanks for showing me Da Wei Mr. YoMama.

I change my vote about third suggestion to +1.
%

Offline Maddy

• VIP
  • Score: 37297
  • My attitude depends on the people in front of me.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 12:42:54 pm »
+1 for first two suggestions.
But for the third suggestion, When the /rc p command announces, the player who was President in previous map can also use it because this has been done to not let players play the map without a President for a longer time. At least they can enjoy if the previous President take the slot again.

For the last suggestion, +1
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 12:47:26 pm by Maddy »

Offline YoMama

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 01:38:38 pm »
But for the third suggestion, When the /rc p command announces, the player who was President in previous map can also use it because this has been done to not let players play the map without a President for a longer time. At least they can enjoy if the previous President take the slot again.
I feel like I'm not making myself clear. I know why /rc p exists and I think it's valuable. I'm suggesting a change so that becoming President through /rc p doesn't give them the timer that prevents them from becoming President again, and/or resets the timer if they already had one. I think this will make /rc p more attractive to more experienced Presidents, because currently they avoid maps that they either don't like or know will be difficult because they know that they want to avoid having the timer stopping them from being President when they want to be.

Here's an example:
How it is now:
The map changes to NSA, and no one is President. No one experienced becomes President because everyone knows it's very difficult, and they expect a fun map like SF to come up afterwards, at which point they will become President. If they become President now, they won't be able to become President at the beginning of the next map, so they don't /rc p, even though they have an opportunity. Random noobs join and become President and VP. The next 10-15 minutes consist of a lot of noobs dying because the experienced players are waiting for the next map. An experienced player takes President in the next map.

An alternate scenario: once /rc p is available, an experienced player takes President, dies, noob takes over, dies. Next map, the experienced player can't take President, so the endless cycle of dying noob Presidents happens in what would have been an interesting map. The experienced player is saddened and leaves. Pointless armor fighting ensues.

How I think this change will turn out:
The map changes to NSA, and no one is President. /rc p becomes available. An experienced player takes the President slot, because they can still be President in the next map that they wanted to be President in under the rule change, regardless of what happens. The noobs who would have taken President without the change join and one takes VP. The experienced player puts up a good fight, but dies after 6 minutes. The noob VP takes a Limo with no security straight out of the spawn and under a hovering Hydra and dies instantly. In the next map, the experienced player takes President. An interesting round happens, the game continues as it should whether or not the experienced player survives.

This way, there are more experienced Presidents in more maps, so the maps would be more interesting. This wouldn't prevent noobs from becoming President, it would just make the experienced players more willing to be President.

Offline Maddy

• VIP
  • Score: 37297
  • My attitude depends on the people in front of me.
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 02:39:52 pm »
I feel like I'm not making myself clear. I know why /rc p exists and I think it's valuable. I'm suggesting a change so that becoming President through /rc p doesn't give them the timer that prevents them from becoming President again, and/or resets the timer if they already had one. I think this will make /rc p more attractive to more experienced Presidents, because currently they avoid maps that they either don't like or know will be difficult because they know that they want to avoid having the timer stopping them from being President when they want to be.

Here's an example:
How it is now:
The map changes to NSA, and no one is President. No one experienced becomes President because everyone knows it's very difficult, and they expect a fun map like SF to come up afterwards, at which point they will become President. If they become President now, they won't be able to become President at the beginning of the next map, so they don't /rc p, even though they have an opportunity. Random noobs join and become President and VP. The next 10-15 minutes consist of a lot of noobs dying because the experienced players are waiting for the next map. An experienced player takes President in the next map.

An alternate scenario: once /rc p is available, an experienced player takes President, dies, noob takes over, dies. Next map, the experienced player can't take President, so the endless cycle of dying noob Presidents happens in what would have been an interesting map. The experienced player is saddened and leaves. Pointless armor fighting ensues.

How I think this change will turn out:
The map changes to NSA, and no one is President. /rc p becomes available. An experienced player takes the President slot, because they can still be President in the next map that they wanted to be President in under the rule change, regardless of what happens. The noobs who would have taken President without the change join and one takes VP. The experienced player puts up a good fight, but dies after 6 minutes. The noob VP takes a Limo with no security straight out of the spawn and under a hovering Hydra and dies instantly. In the next map, the experienced player takes President. An interesting round happens, the game continues as it should whether or not the experienced player survives.

This way, there are more experienced Presidents in more maps, so the maps would be more interesting. This wouldn't prevent noobs from becoming President, it would just make the experienced players more willing to be President.
You've cleared everything you want. I just posted the basis of /rc p command. But your explanation makes sense. I think it will be good if we add it but currently, I'm not sure.

Offline Jonne

• Head Admin
  • Score: 3751
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 03:17:07 pm »
  • I often find myself typing /intel, /track <president>, /stats <president>, /sb, and checking who the VP is with the tab menu when I enter the server and/or want to attack the President. It would make sense to make a lot of that information available in one place. The /intel command should include relevant information that is in "/track <president's ID>", like his health/armor, ping (useful for DBing him), etc. Showing the President's record (survivals/deaths), maybe the number of security and the name of the VP, would be cool too.

We'll add this.

• The /rc v command should tell you how much longer you have to wait to become President again if you're prevented from becoming VP by the time-between-presidencies timer, instead of just failing.

We can make something like this as well.

• When no one has taken President at the beginning of the map, eventually the "/rc p to become President!" announcement comes up and anyone can become President, even if they would otherwise be limited by the timer. The problem is, this isn't very attractive to people who feel that being President in an unattractive map would be a waste of their time to be President if they'd rather be President in another map. For example, I might be a good enough President to survive in NSA, but I might want to wait for FC, so I don't do /rc p so I am guaranteed to have that option later. Maybe everyone who could survive in NSA does this, which means that eventually someone with no chance does /rc p and a cycle of dying Presidents happens. I think this is kind of silly. I suggest that this be changed so a Presidency from /rc p doesn't count against a player's time-between-presidencies timer or maybe even resets it- so someone waiting on a map can /rc p if no one is brave enough to take President, then they still have an opportunity to be President in the next map as a reward for stepping up.

I don't think we should change the system just to give more experienced players more chances. If you've just been pres, you'll just have to wait the 15 minutes, and give other people chances to be pres. Only if there's the next map no one stepping up, and the /rc p thing is open again, you can take the spot again.

• Some kind of /nextmaps command which shows the next few maps in the rotation would also be nice, or perhaps just an announcement on the mainchat that lets everyone know what the next map will be. I can't really think of a good reason to hide this information from players, particularly when people will probably more aggressively play the gamemode if they know what they're playing for (for example, people who hate the next map will be terrorists, people who want it will try to help the President survive).

I feel like not knowing which map is next is part of the game, and it should be kept like that. Especially when you have a couple of unpopular maps in sequence (for example: FC - NSA), it will drive a lot of players away because they don't want to play those maps. If you keep the next map unknown, a lot of players will still play to end those maps, in the hope the next map is a more popular one.

Offline YoMama

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 10:22:39 pm »
I don't think we should change the system just to give more experienced players more chances. If you've just been pres, you'll just have to wait the 15 minutes, and give other people chances to be pres. Only if there's the next map no one stepping up, and the /rc p thing is open again, you can take the spot again.
I agree that experienced players don't need more help; however, I don't think this would just benefit experienced players or give anyone unfair chances. By the time the /rc p option comes up, pretty much everyone has had a chance to become President, except for the people who already were President. I'm sure there are many players who are willing to try the harder maps, but who don't want to do it if it means losing the ability to be President in the next map, which they might like more. I can understand being concerned about someone being President repeatedly, but perhaps it could be prevented by making the waiting period for choosing President directly, instead of choosing vice. (So player X can be President in NSA, then die after 4 minutes, then the next dies after 2, then the map changes, then X can only be choose President directly after waiting 13 minutes, but can choose VP immediately.)

I feel like not knowing which map is next is part of the game, and it should be kept like that. Especially when you have a couple of unpopular maps in sequence (for example: FC - NSA), it will drive a lot of players away because they don't want to play those maps. If you keep the next map unknown, a lot of players will still play to end those maps, in the hope the next map is a more popular one.
Yeah, I guess I can see that being an issue.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 08:10:08 am by YoMama »