Author Topic: Automatic team balance  (Read 9260 times)

Offline Miau

• VIP
  • Score: 46079
Automatic team balance
« on: May 21, 2018, 04:37:04 am »
It's not exactly a bug, but I've noticed that when there player count is low (like under 10 players), the automatic team balance massively favors the protecting team. I've even gotten to see 4 police + 3 security + the president + the vicepresident vs 1 terrorist.

You need to take a look at that, because it happens constantly, even when no VIPs (who can force reclass) are online. And I don't think it has much to do with people quitting and messing up the balance, because if that was the cause, it would affect both the protecting and attacking team indistinctly.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 04:50:49 am by Mia »
Oh! I don't want to fight you, Jorah the Andal. What do I have to gain? If I win, I'm the shit who killed an old man. If I lose, I'm the shit who was killed by an old man.

~ Daario Naharis

Offline YoMama

• VIP
  • Score: 24630
Re: Automatic team balance
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 01:35:17 am »
I've noticed this too. It's not uncommon for me to see it even more unbalanced than you mention. It's also a cultural problem though.

Offline Scott_

• Mod
  • Score: 148392
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 11:19:06 pm »
Proof :v i am only the one Terro lol ::)

Offline PacoBeanZ

• VIP
  • Score: Unknown
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 11:34:02 pm »
Proof :v i am only the one Terro lol ::)

It's been like that since the start. Security was never affected by balancing (neither are pres and vp technically). It's tricky because you're probably going to decide to add hierarchical precedence too.

Like if the defending team is imbalanced can you choose to be a cop if there aren't any security protecting the president? Another one is if the terrorist are imbalanced, do you prevent a president or vice president from being selected?

It would probably be better to have only terrorists, SWAT, Security, and police affect balancing.

Offline Miau

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 02:38:55 am »
I've noticed that the system always allows, at least, 4 securities. Even if there are 4 players in the server, all those 4 can choose security if they feel like. This needs to change... I mean, when the player count is very low at night, 4 players is a huge part of the server. It would work just fine if the minimum security was 1, and then maybe add 1 extra security/police slot for every terrorist up to a limit of... 8-9 securities maybe?
Oh! I don't want to fight you, Jorah the Andal. What do I have to gain? If I win, I'm the shit who killed an old man. If I lose, I'm the shit who was killed by an old man.

~ Daario Naharis

Offline YoMama

• VIP
  • Score: 24630
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 04:26:42 am »
It's been like that since the start. Security was never affected by balancing (neither are pres and vp technically). It's tricky because you're probably going to decide to add hierarchical precedence too.
I may remember things differently, but I feel like the old server allocated less protecting (particularly security) slots than this one. I liked that- I don't think the protecting/attacking sides should be all that balanced. I prefer more attacking than protecting. It makes the game more exciting as the President and less camping-oriented. It also makes bullshit red vs. blue fights less feasible.

What do you mean by "hierarchical precedence"?

I've noticed that the system always allows, at least, 4 securities. Even if there are 4 players in the server, all those 4 can choose security if they feel like. This needs to change... I mean, when the player count is very low at night, 4 players is a huge part of the server. It would work just fine if the minimum security was 1, and then maybe add 1 extra security/police slot for every terrorist up to a limit of... 8-9 securities maybe?
Yes, I don't remember it having a high minimum like that in the old server. I think it should force people into the security slots before making police slots available as the player count increases. I don't think it makes sense to have police instead of security when there are only a few attackers. I agree that there should be a limit on security in general. I would prefer that there weren't a limit on terrorist slots at all, since non-VIPs who want to attack are sometimes forced to be civilians. I don't think it makes much sense to try to keep the protecting and attacking sides balanced when there are no limits on the civilian class, which is a wildcard that can and often does sway the game.

Offline SoLoD

• Youtube stunting channel
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 09:49:36 pm »
>automatic team balance
>50% of server can switch to anything whenever they want
You know the nice thing about the Bronx Zoo, Charlie? There's bars between you and the monkeys.

Offline Saurabh

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 07:33:34 am »
>automatic team balance
>50% of server can switch to anything whenever they want

Yes. But the other 50 percent people would have to rechoose an available class after dying, just to compromise or undo this imbalance caused by vips.

At least this thing is better than what we have now.

Offline Crash

• VIP
  • Score: 10053
  • aka Kobe
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 06:02:30 pm »
Hey peeps,
I was a President yesterday and the server had like 8 players while 7 of them were terrorists . How/why  is this possible?

Offline Spici_Popot

• VIP
  • "Pooped" Or "FuckOff"
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 07:09:41 pm »
Hey peeps,
I was a President yesterday and the server had like 8 players while 7 of them were terrorists . How/why  is this possible?

This is because if there is a president, terrorist class is open for  3-4 ppl and when there's no normal player to play other classes
VIP's take the chance on to change class anytime to terrorist and even a security May make difference if he is in protecting class , one more space to join as terrorist evaluates.

Offline Rajesh

• VIP
  • IDF Staff
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 11:43:11 am »
SEE HOW THIS WORKS
https://youtu.be/DRlXrb95KLo
PRESIDENT WITH ZERO SECURITY ?

Offline Spici_Popot

• VIP
  • "Pooped" Or "FuckOff"
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 03:57:22 pm »
SEE HOW THIS WORKS

There's only one terrorist and 4 cops and a presi and vice
So u think president should be untouchable?
And you write your chat so quick i love it jajajaj

Offline Jonne

• Head Admin
  • Score: 3751
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 06:13:33 pm »

This was indeed the case. We've changed it now and are working out some other bugs in the reclass checks.

SEE HOW THIS WORKS

We will make it so people can reclass within their own team (so from police to security or swat and the other way around, based on class availability of course). Right now it treats the player as if you didn't have a class before. Also, we have established an upper limit for reclassing as VIP now, so the game doesn't get too imbalanced. If one team has over 70% of the 'team players' in it, you won't be able to reclass to this team, even as VIP.

We're still making changes to the system, so if you see things that look wrong, please let us know (and include /sb or a picture of the player list in your post, so we can see what exactly the situation is).

Offline Miau

• VIP
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 08:32:57 pm »
If one team has over 70% of the 'team players' in it, you won't be able to reclass to this team, even as VIP.

I noticed it last night, and it was a bit problematic. I didn't take a screenshot of the situation, but I'll try to explain:

- Around ~7 online players in total.
- 1 President
- 1 Security
- 5 Civilians (including myself)

So, for your script, 100% of the team players were on the protecting side and, as a result, I couldn't reclass to security or police. But the fact is that those 4 civilians were VIPs and regulars, they weren't killing each other and their only goal was to hunt down the president and his security. I wanted to join the protecting side to help those two a bit and make the game fairer (and more interesting) for everyone, but the new system wouldn't let me. In theory civilians are equally prone to help either side, but I'm afraid that the reality is way different.

~ Daario Naharis

Offline Jonne

• Head Admin
  • Score: 3751
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 10:52:20 pm »
Yes, I'll probably try to build in something so it will let people reclass on low populations, so the reclassing on the beginning of the round should feel a lot 'smoother'.