Author Topic: Restructuring mod level  (Read 38993 times)

Offline Jonne

• Head Admin
  • Score: 3751
Restructuring mod level
« on: December 11, 2016, 09:45:12 pm »
Hi everyone,

The last few weeks, I've been working on the AC, but due to time constraints and other things I haven't made a lot of progress. We still have a lot of problems with hackers, and we can't provide coverage in all the timezones with the current admins alone, especially during the night / early morning timezones. So, we started looking into alternative solutions, and we've decided to restructure the mod level (level 3). Before, the mod level was more of trial period to become admin and was a bit useless. So, we decided to make the mod level a permanent level, focused on catching hackers, in order to provide more coverage around all timezones. The current mod level will be limited, they won't have the same access to information as admins have, in order to make it more focused around hackers, and so more people are eligible to take that position. This is what will change to the mod level:

• Mods will now be able to ban people (after a short trial period). However, the banning will be limited only to hackers, admins will still be responsible for all other forms of rulebreaking. Mods will need to collect proof (video, screenshot, ...) before making a ban. They won't be taking the ban appeals, level 5s or admins will act as a 'judge' there and decide the ban appeal.
  • Mods will be more of a level between admins and VIPs, they will have their own chat and forum board, to discuss about things. This is so we can keep the responsibilities of admins and mods separated, without having to worry about sharing info with people who don't have access to it.
  • Mods will work in time periods of 3 months, meaning they'll be reselected every 3 months. This is mainly to prevent inactivity, so we always have an active team of mods. This doesn't mean you can't become admin anymore, mods who keep proving themselves will have a chance of being promoted. Also, it doesn't mean that once you lose it, you can never become a mod again. If you're inactive for a period and lose it, but are active again the next period, you can be selected again.

With these changes, we hope that we'll be able to ban hackers a lot quicker and make the game more enjoyable for everyone. Now, if you're interested in becoming a mod, we will open applications tomorrow in a separate topic and you'll be able to apply there. You'll have a week to apply, after that admins will have the chance to suggest people and level 5s will make the final decision. If you have any questions, remarks or suggestions regarding this, let us know here.

Offline TreePuncher

• VIP
  • Score: Unknown
Re: Restructuring mod level
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 10:20:33 pm »
Talk about a huge improvement! Good idea, Jonne.
However, if a mod is demoted for whatever reason, will another person be able to take that position, or it'll will remain vacant until the three months have expired?

Another normal day at Hueland.

Offline Jonne

• Head Admin
  • Score: 3751
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 10:23:44 pm »
Talk about a huge improvement! Good idea, Jonne.
However, if a mod is demoted for whatever reason, will another person be able to take that position, or it'll will remain vacant until the three months have expired?
Haven't really thought about that, to be honest. I think it will kinda depend on the need for it. If it's, for example, in a timezone where we don't have a lot of other admins/mods, he'll be replaced, but if it's not necessary, we'll wait.

Offline Alcor

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 10:35:47 pm »
there was a tempban function that got disabled long ago for admins, i think enabling it for mods seems more effective so they can make tempbans right away when a cheater is present.

let's say there is a cheater, a mod tempbans him then a message is displayed showing him that he has been banned for a day (or any chosen period), he then can make a ban appeal to explain what happened while admins get a chance to look at the screens/videos from the mods during that time and make a final decision.

Offline Miau

• VIP
  • Score: 46079
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 11:00:52 pm »
there was a tempban function that got disabled long ago for admins, i think enabling it for mods seems more effective so they can make tempbans right away when a cheater is present.

let's say there is a cheater, a mod tempbans him then a message is displayed showing him that he has been banned for a day (or any chosen period), he then can make a ban appeal to explain what happened while admins get a chance to look at the screens/videos from the mods during that time and make a final decision.

I don't think that would be a good idea. If a hacker gets banned for only a short period he most likely won't bother making an appeal and wait for admins to reply. Instead they will just hack in other servers and eventually come back here, making admins and mods waste time spectating a person that should be detected as ban evader with a simple IP check (if the ban was permanent).

In my opinion there's no need to be so restrictive. Those who are picked as mods have no interest in banning innocent players. Emotions don't have a very important role here, since the ones hacking are newbies we don't even know 99% of the times.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 11:05:31 pm by Mia »
Oh! I don't want to fight you, Jorah the Andal. What do I have to gain? If I win, I'm the shit who killed an old man. If I lose, I'm the shit who was killed by an old man.

~ Daario Naharis

Offline Ege

• VIP
  • Score: 39828
  • |m|
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 03:50:15 am »
That's a huge improvement, great job Jonne!

Offline Kathy

• VIP
  • Score: 7582
  • Why are you so obsessed with me?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 04:16:29 am »
Can everyone apply?
Don't think about getting brave, sunshine! Don't test my patience!
I think It's time we show the lads how real women party.

Offline Jai_Kundu

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 04:30:21 am »

Offline The iBen

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 04:38:46 am »
Can everyone apply?

Yes, I encourage everyone to apply. VIP OR NOT, give it a shot and it might be you.

Offline Jai_Kundu

• VIP
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 04:58:40 am »
Can everyone apply?

Yes, I encourage everyone to apply. VIP OR NOT, give it a shot and it might be you.

Mod requirement Forum coming soon but i guess the one having like pkng the lowest are tge beft for this as they get to see what the actual  hacker gets to see.  PS i just think correct  me if im wrong.  (i wanna be a mod :D)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 05:04:28 am by Jai_Kundu »

Offline COBRA

• PTP Member since 2006
  • VIP
  • PPLV Clan Founder
    • PPLV WebPage
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 09:56:56 am »
Everyone has got a change to become a mod, so when Mod application topic appears on forum, try your chance!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 10:34:13 am by COBRA »

●  PPLV Website - PPLV Clan Topic  ●

Nostalgia..

Offline Jai_Kundu

• VIP
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 10:26:40 am »
Everyone has got a change to become a mod, so when Mod application topic appears on forum, try your change!
try your chance*

Offline COBRA

• PTP Member since 2006
  • VIP
  • PPLV Clan Founder
    • PPLV WebPage
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 10:33:59 am »
try your chance*
Thanks for correcting me (y) sometimes I write too fast on keyboard damn!  ::)

●  PPLV Website - PPLV Clan Topic  ●

Nostalgia..

Offline HASMA

• VIP
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 11:38:04 am »
lel good idea

Offline Spectre

• VIP
  • Grossly incandescent