Author Topic: Tips and tricks for flying well  (Read 54385 times)

Offline Airman

• Air1
  • Admin
  • Score: 31960
    • Discover Tunisia
Re: Tips and tricks for flying well
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2019, 12:00:13 pm »

Offline YoMama

• VIP
  • Score: 24630
« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2019, 09:04:45 pm »
Ramming a motorcycle III: from the side
How did you even calculate that :o
If by calculate you mean knowing exactly where they are, in this case I didn't, I just guessed the general area of where they'd be, then tried to hit as much of it as I could. My usual rule of thumb to figure out where they are in their game is to add my ping to their ping and aim about that far ahead of them, assuming they continue in the same direction (so 170 + 250 would be .420 seconds ahead). Once you get the feel for it (and if you have a stable ping) you just adjust based on their ping.

Here's a PSA for everyone, since there seems to be widespread misunderstanding regarding lagcomp, including among many of our most experienced players.

Lagcomp only works for aimed weapons which fire bullets. This means that the following common things require deflection aiming (lag shooting, or whatever you call it) ahead of your target (not a complete list):
  • Driveby shooting, if you're the driver (since the passenger can aim, they're lagcomped with bullets)
  • Rustler M4s
  • RC Baron's guns
  • Unguided and guided rockets (the guided rockets only do damage if they hit in the other player's game, but since they're so easy to avoid, there's almost no point in trying to aim them)
  • Hunter's minigun and missiles
  • Grenades
  • Punching, kicking, etc.
  • Chainsaws and all other melee weapons
  • Helikilling
  • Ramming

And again, here's what lagcomp actually synchronizes (meaning a hit in your game always registers in the target's game):
  • Aimed weapons which fire bullets, when fired from the ground or from the passenger seat of a car (so an MP5 is lagcomped if you're firing as a passenger, but not if you're shooting and driving)

If you want to test this for yourself, grab a friend and /dbduel or /airduel them. Use their ping to figure out how much farther ahead you should aim, then fight. Alternatively, just keep turning tighter than they are until you start hitting. You should see that you sometimes have to aim so far ahead that you aren't hitting them in your game, but you will definitely be hitting them in their game. Try the same thing when ramming someone on the ground-- aim a little ahead of them go right through that area (I try to keep most of the vehicle ahead of them to maximize the chances of a hit, as in the video). A lot of the time, you won't even hit them in your game, but you certainly will in theirs if you do it right.

You can see me doing a lot of obvious lead aiming/deflection aiming/lag shooting in the Protecting as SWAT video and in pretty much every other video I've made.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 09:09:20 pm by YoMama »

Offline GeneraL

• Score: 21880
  • V
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2019, 12:04:25 pm »
Amazing guide , Good job YoMama!

Offline YoMama

• VIP
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2019, 10:30:12 am »
At long last:
Dogfighting playlist
I don't have any videos against really good pilots at the moment, but these videos will give you the basics.

Offline (1)[H]nZ88

• VIP
  • Score: 33709
  • VIPs = Perfectly balanced, as all things should be
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2019, 10:21:00 pm »
What controls do you use to fly and look around? I usually use QWE and Left, Up and Right arrows but that leaves me no hands to move the camera
cunt

Offline Deadman

• VIP
  • Score: 64003
  • Pure Striker
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2019, 10:31:10 pm »
If by calculate you mean knowing exactly where they are, in this case I didn't, I just guessed the general area of where they'd be, then tried to hit as much of it as I could. My usual rule of thumb to figure out where they are in their game is to add my ping to their ping and aim about that far ahead of them, assuming they continue in the same direction (so 170 + 250 would be .420 seconds ahead). Once you get the feel for it (and if you have a stable ping) you just adjust based on their ping.
And because of that, I became the master of helikilling people out of nowhere, especially killing people on the roof of a car, having a ride and instantly, swiftly I arrive. JACKBOT!! Helikills over Helikills!

Offline YoMama

• VIP
« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2022, 11:41:33 am »
What controls do you use to fly and look around? I usually use QWE and Left, Up and Right arrows but that leaves me no hands to move the camera
For anyone still wondering, I have the keyboard controls I'd recommend in the initial post here. Personally, I use stock controls on a PS2-style gamepad, and do weird stuff with my fingers to operate the buttons and both thumbsticks at the same time.

And because of that, I became the master of helikilling people out of nowhere, especially killing people on the roof of a car, having a ride and instantly, swiftly I arrive. JACKBOT!! Helikills over Helikills!
Love it -- I've been playing a bit more recently. I'd love to see these lag ram skills in action :)

Offline Airman

• Air1
  • Admin
  • Score: 31960
    • Discover Tunisia
« Reply #97 on: November 11, 2022, 02:59:19 pm »
It's nice to see Yomama posting here again :)
I usually use QWE and Left, Up and Right arrows but that leaves me no hands to move the camera
I have the same controls, a solution for the camera is to use the numpad keys (normally they are set by default) that way i won't have to use the mouse.