Author Topic: Create a periodic time for an experimental/unusual features mode in game  (Read 1835 times)

Offline YoMama

• VIP
  • Score: 24630
There are a lot of amusing seasonal features that get added to the server every year: jetpacks, now RC vehicles, etc. I think it might be fun to allocate a certain amount of time in the server during which those seasonal items and other ridiculous things are available in any map-- Hydras, all the RC vehicles (including the Baron), jet packs, Sea Sparrows, maybe allow Vortex DB, etc. Not only would this add a significant amount of variety to maps that rarely change, it would also give ample opportunities to test out potential changes to the server, like messing with the SWAT weapons set, adding moving objects (like a moving ship?), or whatever other changes that would otherwise be possibly disruptive to just stick in the game without testing with a fair number of people.

I'm not so much suggesting what changes would actually happen during these periods as I am suggesting that the periods be created with at least simple changes to start with (like adding just Hydras and jetpacks, for example), then further additions to the mode would be suggested.

I don't know what the mode would be called, but it would be nice to show some change in the server name/gamemode in the SA:MP server browser so people know when it's happening and can join. Periodic announcements that the server is going into the mode or is in the mode, or is going to go back to normal in t minutes would also be good.

I don't know how often or for how long these times would be, maybe once every 23 hours for an hour (so the time moves around and doesn't only benefit certain timezones), or maybe a whole day around once a week or something.

I think figuring out whether people actually want to have this mode added is the first step, then if so, figuring out for how long the mode will run and how often, then deciding what will be in the mode are the following steps. I'm just trying to give an idea of what might be part of the mode, so please don't pick apart the hypothetical features I've suggested and save your feedback for just the idea of having the experimental/unusual features mode periodically in game.

Offline Uzumaki

• VIP
  • Score: 80424
  • The WEEB DUCK!
PTP: Air Combat
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 06:00:12 am »
Idk but just my idea for Hydra thingy.
The colors are as usual. Yellow=President/Security Spawn, etc etc.

President/Security:
So the President and Securities spawn at the entrance/exit of the parking lot of the SF Airport (The place where there is a Cheetah.) And on the runway, there could be a shamal first, followed by 1 Hydra and the rest rustlers for the other securities. One of the securities can get the Hydra and the other can either choose between President's Shamal Wing or the Rustlers.

Police/SWAT:
The Police & SWAT spawn the the naval ship at the entrance of the ship. There can be 2 Hydras at the lead of the Runway with Rustlers following them. The Police & SWAT can choose to assist the President for survival or Hunt the Terrorists' planes.

Civilians:
Civilians spawn at the Control Room of the Area 69. If you played the SP, then you might have an idea where the Jetpack was stolen from. Put the Jetpack there. And open the shutter(I guess) so that the civilians can fly directly away with the Jetpack. We could put the regular amount of planes in the Abandoned Airport, so that any civilian wishing to fly can get them.

Terrorists:
Terrorists spawn at the entrance of LV Airport. They get their planes and whoosh! Keep the regular amount of planes in the LV airport with 3 hydras in the hangar. Maybe remove the Hangar door for easier access.

Exceptions:
  • If there is a situation of 1 Terrorist and 1 President, then allow the president to use Rustlers or even Hydra maybe. Before allowing this maybe scan the Team Balance for about 15 seconds and then allow it.
  • While a president is allowed on a Rustler and a Security joins in the mid-game. Show up something like "Your men have showed up for your protection. So, you are requested to reach then at the SF Airport with in (A_Time_Limit)
  • Add helis somewhere in the spawn so that if president decides to camp on the ships, he can go for it.
Note:
-This is focused on Air Combat. So, Hell Yea, Players will run to get the planes. Idk add vehicles if you want.
-This is just my imagination. something refined, different can be added :)

Offline YoMama

• VIP
  • Score: 24630
To be honest, I wasn't thinking of additions that are that radical. I was thinking more along the lines of "bring Hydras back to LS and to SF for the hour that the mode is running" or "let everyone take a jetpack in an existing map"-- augmenting the existing game, rather than create an entirely new thing. What you're suggesting would be a lot more involved than just adding a few new vehicles or jetpack spawns in existing maps for the mode, so I'm not sure anyone would prioritize coding it if people liked the idea. However, it doesn't really matter what you're suggesting, the point is that having an occasional experimental mode would allow something like that to happen or my comparatively pedestrian ideas.

While I think your suggestion might be interesting (and fun) to consider if the special mode idea is approved, I was aiming more for "yeah, having the mode would be fun" or "I like the maps as they are, even if the special mode and its temporary changes would only be periodic" responses than big ideas for the mode already, since people will just respond to the ideas instead of just having the mode to begin with and this topic will careen into absurdity. 

Offline Jonne

• Head Admin
  • Score: 3751
I don't think we'll start doing this every day, since most of the special features require some setup and changes, so it's currently not supported to do this quickly. Also, the special features would be a lot less special if we do this every day. We can do this a bit more often though, and not only around Christmas anymore.