Information > Information

"Is this mod allowed?" and other mod-related questions for staff and players

(1/11) > >>

YoMama:
Since there isn't a consolidated topic for this, I'm creating one.

The current guideline for mods is usually this:

--- Quote from: Nikola on September 14, 2017, 11:13:39 am ---If it's a strictly aesthetic modification, it should be fine.

--- End quote ---
..but that doesn't cover mods which make other changes like bug fixes, or mods which may have effects in other players' games that are not always obvious to the user nor unfair to other players (like the infamous light mods).

If you would like to use a mod, but you are not sure if it is legal in-game and/or tested in the server, post it here to get answers from staff and other players to solve your own dilemma and to provide a reference for others.

YoMama:
I'll start:

I'm not a big modder, but I do have an interest in modding the game to remove annoying things which don't affect anyone but me. For example, I have had a no-clouds mod for years to remove clouds which aren't synced between players (if they were synced, I'd be hiding in them with my Rustler ;) ). I've assumed this was legal because it fits the "aesthetic modification which doesn't give an advantage" criteria.

I just found this SAMP addon mod, which says that it might solve a particularly annoying issue for me, the crappy object draw distance which often results in me hitting trees which my computer could easily render long before I see them, but doesn't because of SA:MP's limitations. It also says it fixes the engine sound bug in aircraft, some crashes, and much more. I think I've seen this mod in other players' videos and would like to try it, but is it allowed?

Nikola:
Creating this topic was a good call, a great variety of mods has been created so far and a certain platform should exist to discuss them.

From what I can see, Yomama, all the features of the modifications that you referenced in your post serve to improve the performance of your game and/or make it more user-friendly. The bugs that are being fixed are minor nuisances and by no means decisive factors in overpowering your opponents in the game.

Also, modifying or even removing objects that you can normally drive, fly or shoot through, such as clouds or tree leaves, shouldn't be a problem. It affects one small portion of your game without giving an overall unfair advantage. It won't help you if you're a crappy pilot/shooter. On the other hand, if you're a good one, it might help you one tiny iota, but not more. Such modifications can notably increase the performance quality, particularly for people with low-end computers, so they're allowed if they don't include certain bugs that do indeed give players a visibly unfair advantage (such as the no-health-loss-when-falling bug encountered in the crashfix modification).

cobby:
Hey guys i just wanted to ask if ped.ifp allowed it is the changed animations in game. Here if ur confused:

Menace:
Yes it is
It doesnt affect others gameplay so yeah

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version