Author Topic: Recording tutorial for beginners  (Read 47248 times)

Offline Miau

• VIP
  • Score: 46079
Re: Recording tutorial for beginners
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 08:16:51 pm »
As some people have mentioned, it's usually more practical to save only the last minutes (for example, after an epic move or after you see someone breaking the rules) than keeping the whole gaming session.

OBS does support this, under the name Replay buffer. You need to do a few things to be able to use this:

1. Go to settings.

2. Go to Broadcast settings.

3. Pick a file path to save your replay buffers (you can choose any, and it doesn't necessarily have to be the same as the one for normal recordings).

4. Enter a replay buffer length (in seconds). For example, if you want to keep the last 9 minutes (like I do), simply pick 9 * 60 = 540.

5. Go to Hotkeys settings.

6. Pick a hotkey for:
  • a) Start Replay Buffer. Every time you press this key, OBS will start capturing your game, but it will not create a video file.
  • b) Stop Replay Buffer. Every time you press this key, OBS will no longer capture your game.
  • c) Save Replay Buffer. Use this key when you want to save what was captured in your last minutes of gameplay. This generates a video file in the file path you wrote in step 3. If you don't use this key, all what was recorded in the last minutes won't be saved.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 09:18:33 pm by Mia »
Oh! I don't want to fight you, Jorah the Andal. What do I have to gain? If I win, I'm the shit who killed an old man. If I lose, I'm the shit who was killed by an old man.

~ Daario Naharis

Offline Quido

• Head Admin
  • Score: 27783
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 09:06:07 pm »
Shadowplay is a great alternative for those with Nvidia graphics cards.

Offline MAR.

• Score: Unknown
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 10:01:23 pm »
oh thx very much that help me

Offline Uthar_Smith

• VIP
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 12:50:21 am »
Great tutorial Altus! :D

Offline Rage

• VIP
  • Score: 44717
  • ◢ ◤
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2017, 09:10:11 pm »
Nice !

Offline Altus_Demens

• Admin
  • Score: 23951
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2017, 05:01:28 pm »
Thank you all for your positive replies. :)

And thanks altus for the info but you can also use xboxlive in WIN10 if you to record gameplays.
I haven't ever used it since I discourage don't use Windows 10. But if you overviewed it, I think I'd add it to my comparison part of the post.

Using non-stop recording to 1 file instead of using "save x last minutes"? I do not think so.
See abuser - tap X and save 1 last min. And do not wasting time to lurk into ur 2 hour video and cut what u need.
I don't honestly understand why everyone likes this feature that much. I am aware of it, but I never use it, since it doesn't satisfy my demands. To the end of the game I want to have a file which contains the recording of all of my game session. I will decide what to do with it post factum. Although this feature might be extremely useful on weaker machines...

Using 264 codec to film long videos? Dont think so.
Why not? As long as I am aware, it is the best choice. What would you suggest?

>Use CBR: unchecked;
What does that mean, you do not know difference between CBR and VBR?
Yes, it means that VBR (variable bitrate) will be used instead of CBR (constant bitrate). It is, together with zero buffer size which disables VBV (video buffering verifier), required in order to reach the desired CRF (x264 constant rate factor).

There are programms that much better and easier to use for tasks you mentioned.
Probably there are - but for the tasks you have mentioned. As far as I am aware OBS is the best tool to reach the goals I need. Although it would be interesting and useful for us all if you shared your experience and thoughts about that.

As some people have mentioned, it's usually more practical to save only the last minutes (for example, after an epic move or after you see someone breaking the rules) than keeping the whole gaming session. (...)
Thank you, according to the replies, it is quite useful addition. I will put it into my post.

Shadowplay is a great alternative for those with Nvidia graphics cards.
Oh yeah, I should've added it as well. Unfortunately, for whatever reason it has never worked properly for me, although I was (almost) always using NVIDIA video adapters - I faced constant crashes on all of my PCs. Nevertheless, if you could overview it, I'd definitely add it to my post.
A paltry man and poor of mind
At all things ever mocks;
For never he knows, what he ought to know,
That he is not free from faults.

Offline Tounsix

• VIP
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2017, 08:10:12 pm »
Trying this later.

Offline WuZi

• VIP
  • Gifts are always good
    • GgT Forum
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2017, 11:49:32 pm »
Very useful for my members, thanks!

1. FRAPS (the worst)
This one is likely the most popular. It is not free so you need to buy it (or find an alternative solution)

« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 11:56:09 pm by WuZi »

Offline Finisher

• VIP
  • Score: 45472
  • Jerusalemite
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2017, 12:00:19 am »
Very useful for my members, thanks!

This was the last thing I was hoping to see, ironically "your members" cheat/get banned one by one..
* Finisha. is sorry for the off-topic reply

Good job Altus! very useful for his members and many more around the world ;D

Offline WuZi

• VIP
  • Gifts are always good
    • GgT Forum
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2017, 01:52:25 pm »
This was the last thing I was hoping to see, ironically "your members" cheat/get banned one by one..
* Finisha. is sorry for the off-topic reply

This is just the anger inside of you talking. Ma boys are clean.

Offline Tounsix

• VIP
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2017, 03:28:43 am »
Okay I tired installing it again and focused on it,Everything is alright expect that the videos I record are all black ( I can hear sound btw),As I searched its due the two carte graphics,I got two,And OBS only shows the IntelHD graphics 3000 and dosent show the amd radeon gaming graphic carte,( its turns on automaticly on gaming)Any soultion?

Offline Altus_Demens

• Admin
  • Score: 23951
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2017, 09:51:37 am »
Okay I tired installing it again and focused on it,Everything is alright expect that the videos I record are all black ( I can hear sound btw),As I searched its due the two carte graphics,I got two,And OBS only shows the IntelHD graphics 3000 and dosent show the amd radeon gaming graphic carte,( its turns on automaticly on gaming)Any soultion?
Oh, Toun... I am not a telepathist. Mention your laptop model when you ask such questions, please.
Anyways... The best solution is to stay away from AMD Radeon based laptops with switchable graphics. They are generally extremely problematic in terms of gaming.
Most likely the problem is that AMD GPU (video adapter) has no physical direct connection to the screen. It means that your integrated video adapter will be always responsible for outputting the image to your screen and there is no workaround, because it is a hardware issue. Those are possible solutions:
  • Go to BIOS and check if there is an option to set primary video adapter. If yes, pick your AMD one. It will work if my assumption above was wrong;
  • When you pick a source (step 3 in my tutorial), pick "Monitor capture" instead of "Game capture". It would be ten times worse, but better than nothing;
  • Don't use OBS, try Bandicam, but I don't know how it would behave.
A paltry man and poor of mind
At all things ever mocks;
For never he knows, what he ought to know,
That he is not free from faults.

Offline Alcor

• VIP
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2017, 09:46:53 pm »
Shadowplay is the best for me, it's quite easy to use and was coded by the nvidia developers to allow direct utilization from the gpu for minimum performance impacts. It can also record the last 1 to 20 minutes of gameplay based on what you prefer and has the option to directly render and upload the video to your youtube account while you're playing.

you'll need an Nvidia card though which is the downside to this. 

Offline SwirlyMan

• VIP
  • "I cannot be good. I must be perfection."
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2017, 06:07:51 pm »
Great Tutorial ;)

Offline Crash

• VIP
  • Score: 10053
  • aka Kobe
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2017, 06:11:16 pm »
same problem like Tounsix have,graphics are also the same. I tried your solution Altus,it didin't help.