Author Topic: [To be added]Optional tutorial for new players  (Read 12497 times)

Offline Miau

• VIP
  • Score: 46079
[To be added]Optional tutorial for new players
« on: December 28, 2017, 12:40:46 am »
I don't know if you share my perception, but there has always been here an overwhelming majority of new players in the server that are completely lost. I mean, people that have absolutely no clue about what they are supposed to do. There are some milder cases, like people who have some experience in SA-MP but can't figure out some little tricks that are usually critical to lead their team to victory (for example, what to do as presi and what not to do). On the other hand, there are people that don't even know that sub machine guns can be used while running, or don't even know how to aim with them.

It's necessary to make newbies more relevant in the game. Right now, if your team mates are newbies it's like you had no team mates at all.

I suggest a simple dialog that pops up for new players. They could choose to accept and start the tutorial or close it and continue playing. Maybe not only just after they first spawn, since they are likely to skip it, eager to try out the server as soon as possible. But it could pop up when they have died a few times, it would exploit their frustration :)

I was also thinking about offering them a reward for making the effort to take the tutorial, like a temporary special weapon or something.

I consider it's very important to make the tutorial available in all the major languages: English, Spanish, Serbo-Croatian, Arabic, Hindi, Portuguese, maybe Russian, French, Tagalog... Most of those who are lost, find themselves in that situation because of the language handicap. It could just automatically set up the language based on the players' country IPs.

You can count on me to translate it to Spanish and also for all the necessary scripting  ;)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 01:10:38 pm by Jonne »
Oh! I don't want to fight you, Jorah the Andal. What do I have to gain? If I win, I'm the shit who killed an old man. If I lose, I'm the shit who was killed by an old man.

~ Daario Naharis

Offline Crash

• VIP
  • Score: 10053
  • aka Kobe
Re: Optional tutorial for new players
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 02:02:30 am »
As far as i remember,this is not a roleplay server and you don't need boring ass description on what to do on a TDM server,lol.
And even the 9y old kid would understand the gameplay within few hours.
Not necessary.
I mean,if you really decide to get a brief description for the server,itt should go like this:
1. Wow,i need to kill the president to win.
2. Fuck this,i always get killed by VIP and their brothers in arms (clans).
3. Omg,i liek this server. I want to get famous and respected here. I'll buy VIP and hop in a clan.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 02:09:51 am by Crash »

Offline Yash

• VIP
  • Score: 2448
  • “Anyone can do my job, but no one can be me.”
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 02:06:24 am »
I don't really think giving newbies special advantage over other players just to make them learn about the server is a good idea.
So, -1 for the special weapons stuff.
Do take a look here -
https://planbserver.com/forum/index.php?topic=552.0
#PlanB.Echo* [14] VIP Chat Quinn: How's Kencer
#PlanB.Echo* [10] VIP Chat Schottky_BiB: deadman?
#PlanB.Echo* [32] VIP Chat [RZ]Deadman: ?
#PlanB.Echo* [10] VIP Chat Schottky_BiB: yash is asking how are you
#PlanB.Echo* [9] VIP Chat SatviK:  XD
#PlanB.Echo* [14] VIP Chat Quinn: Xd

Offline Miau

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 02:21:43 am »
And even the 9y old kid would understand the gameplay within few hours.

I rather taking a look at reality than fantasizing what a 9 year old would do. And reality is that there are very lost players, and they are a lot. Or maybe you and I live in paralel universes, I don't know. But in my universe it's semi-impossible to find a newbie to team up with that is actually helpful and knows what to do.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure many people think the same way you do and consider the tutorial boring. That's why it's absolutely up to every player to decide if he wants to take it or not.

I don't really think giving newbies special advantage over other players just to make them learn about the server is a good idea.
So, -1 for the special weapons stuff.
Do take a look here -
https://planbserver.com/forum/index.php?topic=552.0

I think it is a good idea because it would encourage them to take the tutorial, which can be very unattractive at the beginning but has a positive impact on their game experience later on. Now it's your turn to say why it's not a good idea.

The suggestion you linked is about turning /ptp into a tutorial. This goes much further than the info contained in /ptp and /rules. The objective is to make new players actually helpful team mates, based on tips to improve their performance, tactics, etc.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 02:24:00 am by Mia »
Oh! I don't want to fight you, Jorah the Andal. What do I have to gain? If I win, I'm the shit who killed an old man. If I lose, I'm the shit who was killed by an old man.

~ Daario Naharis

Offline Spectre

• VIP
  • Score: Unknown
  • Grossly incandescent
    • Team: No Terrorism
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 03:49:29 am »
Not a bad idea overall, as long as it's not too much of a "holding their hand" kind of tutorial. There should be some things that they need to figure out for themselves, but we could cover the very basic stuff.

Offline Pranesh

• VIP
  • whatcha step
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 04:15:08 am »
This goes much further than the info contained in /ptp and /rules. The objective is to make new players actually helpful team mates, based on tips to improve their performance, tactics, etc.

We are not going to tell them everything we discovered by playing. This should be just informing them about different health/armor spawn, how to re-class, team objective and what the blips on maps are(red being enemy and rest being same team). This should be more than enough to help new players understand what goes on in the game mode.

Offline Miau

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 04:57:16 am »
The idea is to make something like the tutorial in GTA SA single player.

It's not about a long boring tutorial, but about a bunch of tips that pop up when you need to know. In the beginning, the player would select how much help they need: no help at all, only advanced tips, only gamemode/rules and advanced tips or all the tips, including those about very basic SA-MP mechanics.

~ Daario Naharis

Offline Shawkhawk did nothing wrong!

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 05:06:56 am »
I don't know why this suggestion is getting negative votes,
I don't know about you but I really think this should be added. Many( not so many) guys help new players [sometimes (rarely)] but many times it gets difficult to communicate because of language barrier. This suggestion is best for helping newbies, and trust me /ptp, /duty and /rules suck coz "what's /duty, /rule /ptp?.....said no new ptp player ever" plus if you don't understand English then you'll don't know inglas. "There's no need for it rightnow" is not a good argument against suggestions like this.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 05:11:24 am by pistolstar »

Offline Deadman

• VIP
  • Score: 64003
  • Pure Striker
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 06:38:52 am »

It's not about a long boring tutorial, but about a bunch of tips that pop up when you need to know. In the beginning, the player would select how much help they need: no help at all, only advanced tips, only gamemode/rules and advanced tips or all the tips, including those about very basic SA-MP mechanics.
Tutorial like this would work for me to be honest.
+1.

Offline Madman

• VIP
  • Score: 56380
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 08:46:13 am »

Your idea is somehow good but in the other hand...I don't know what the problem is but i give +1.Let's see what others will give vote
menace> {33CCFF}[4] {FFFFFF}SMALL PENIS IRAN DOGS
menace> {33CCFF}[4] {FFFFFF}SMALL PENIS IRAN DOGS
Dr.MaDMaN[GgT]> {33CCFF}[3] {FFFFFF}Retarded mode is on
DedeceK> {33CCFF}[27] {FFFFFF}LOL
DedeceK> {33CCFF}[27] {FFFFFF}madman he wanan mute again

M a k a v e l i .

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 11:29:08 am »
We should have that, agreed.

Offline Judah

• Score: 124
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 01:06:27 pm »
I don't really think giving newbies special advantage over other players
What special advantage are you talking about?

I see no reason why this should not be added. +1

Offline Jessy

• VIP
  • Score: 41754
  • Meow
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 02:07:32 pm »

+1, that will be really helpful.

Offline vento_aureo

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 02:14:52 pm »
sounds cool +1

Offline Haunter

• VIP
  • Score: 65001
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 02:16:16 pm »
Yes , this would also encourage the newbies to stay rather than leaving because they keep dying etc... however I don't agree about giving them special weapons the tutorial itself is a benefit. We were all once the same If we used special weapons that would just not be the same as training 'hard'.