Author Topic: Allow the President to fly aircraft  (Read 15139 times)

Offline YoMama

• VIP
  • Score: 24630
Re: Allow the President to fly aircraft
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2016, 11:38:03 pm »
It's not easy to learn how to fly with Rustler especially for those newbies in this game.
"Hey, I need to kill the presi, but he is on a rustler! I need to learn to fly rustler in less than 15 minutes!"
That's not even an argument. If you don't know how to fly a Rustler already, you should probably learn. If you're new to PTP, then there is a lot more than Rustlers you have to worry about. I suck on the ground, but at least I do it and try to get better.

Especially if you consider that the security team is usually a group of newbies that can barely stick with the president when he's camping or driving around in a regular car.
...so worst-case scenario, nothing would change?

It's all about making the security necessary for presidents' survival and create more action and fights. I understand that camping on an aircraft is much safer and easier for the president, but he can't simply ignore his team, because they also need to have fun, take part in the survival and feel useful in any sort of way.
Flying around is a high-risk proposition- you can't jack someone else's plane after you're shot down, if you hit anything you're pretty much screwed, and you can't really run from people. In case you haven't noticed, my strategy is to follow other planes so they can't shoot me. If the plane I'm following has someone with a gun surfing on it, I can't do it. You and Altus did this to me yesterday when I tried this and one of you was surfing. This kind of thing certainly makes the security necessary- the President can stay out of the way and let the security shoot the terrorists down, or have a security in/on his plane so he has a gunner for defense.

Shamals ? LOL wtf ?
You could at least try reading the first lines of my essays before you comment:
... maybe the solution is to make only Shamal available to the President so that at least some Securities can follow him.
Bad idea- Shamals are very fast, it would actually be quite difficult to shoot a President down if he were in a Shamal.
Unfortunately, I like to explain why I hold my position- instead of just stating it. My replies are often longer as a result.
Yomama you type too much, summerise your essays..
OK, here is a summary of everything I've been saying: I think this will change very little, except for opening up the air to the president. Good presidents will still be good, bad presidents will still be bad. Good security will still be able to keep up, bad or unskilled security will still lag behind. Presidents will still be incapable of outrunning the terrorists in every situation. VIPs will still have the ultimate anti-president weapon in most situations, the sniper rifle. Teamwork will still be the best way to win. It will still be possible, as Spectre said, to modify the rules again if this doesn't work out.

TL;DR: Read what I wrote above, it's only seven sentences.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 11:40:33 pm by YoMama »

Offline Finisher

• VIP
  • Score: 45472
  • Jerusalemite
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2016, 11:48:40 pm »
To make this thing happen, we also need to make Security class for registered only players, because we mostly get the randoms/first time players spawn as Security and there goes a chance of survival not to mention shooting each other in the spawn as well as jacking each other until the President dies in his own spawn..

Good idea in general, not great in what we currently have as so called Security class

Offline SwirlyMan

• VIP
  • Score: Unknown
  • "I cannot be good. I must be perfection."
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2016, 07:09:27 am »
It's not easy to learn how to fly with Rustler especially for those newbies in this game.
"Hey, I need to kill the presi, but he is on a rustler! I need to learn to fly rustler in less than 15 minutes!"
That's not even an argument. If you don't know how to fly a Rustler already, you should probably learn. If you're new to PTP, then there is a lot more than Rustlers you have to worry about. I suck on the ground, but at least I do it and try to get better.
Im not talking about myself, im talking about other player/new player who cant ride Rustler.

Offline Jonne

• Head Admin
  • Score: 3751
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2016, 06:47:37 pm »
Since the number of people for and against are pretty evenly distributed, I'm willing to give this a try. The only question is now, allow all aircrafts or disallow some (Shamal, Hydra, ...)? Once we decide that, we'll test it for a month and then vote to keep or remove it.

Offline YoMama

• VIP
  • Score: 24630
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2016, 08:02:47 am »
Since the number of people for and against are pretty evenly distributed, I'm willing to give this a try. The only question is now, allow all aircrafts or disallow some (Shamal, Hydra, ...)? Once we decide that, we'll test it for a month and then vote to keep or remove it.
Thanks for being open to trying it. I think everything should be allowed but Hydras and Shamals. With a Hydra and some skill, the president could both avoid being shot down and stop other people from taking off fairly easily. Shamals are too nimble when they aren't hobbled by a surfer. Everything else is either too slow or too lumbering to be able to avoid opposing Rustlers (and especially Hydras). The president could already be flown in most of these allowed planes as a passenger, so in my analysis it will essentially make no difference. The president's ability to fly Rustlers may need some fine-tuning, but I doubt that even at the most extreme case it will be much different balance-wise from his ability to ride NRGs- this is the only thing I'm not pretty sure about.

Are you willing to try removing the aircamping timer as well? If so, it would probably be better to try it after this has gone through a trial period, or perhaps try it in only one map (like NSA).

Offline Jonne

• Head Admin
  • Score: 3751
Re: [?]Allow the President to fly aircraft
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2017, 11:18:51 pm »