Author Topic: Mafia  (Read 25849 times)

Offline Altus_Demens

• Admin
  • Score: 23951
Mafia
« on: March 11, 2017, 07:21:36 pm »
Hi, friends and foes!

I would like to suggest you all to play the Mafia game on our forums (party game, not PC one). :) I was thinking about it numerous times, and now I've spontaneously found a supporter and a couple of persons who might be interested as well, that's why I am posting this.

About the game

For those who don't know about the rules and who don't want to read that Wikipedia article: the rules are quite simple. All of the players are divided in two groups: 'Mafia' and 'Citizens'. 'Mafia' is in the minority, but they know about each other, they know who belongs to 'Mafia' and who does not. 'Citizens' are, in turn, in majority, but they have got no idea about who is who. Generally, the goal of each side is to kill all of the members from opposite group.

The game has got a number of rounds which have got two phases: day and night. During the day each player expresses his opinion and thoughts about the game and the other players (like, who is 'Mafia', who is not, why etc); they do it in the strict order specified by game master. To the end of the day players must suggest at least one person to be killed (thus, if nobody didn't sugest anyone, the last player to express his opinion is obligated to do so); after that everybody votes against one of those who was suggested. The one who gets more votes is getting killed. He's got the right of the last word, after that he is expelled from the game. His true role is not being revealed till the end of the game.

During the night 'Mafia' privately chooses their victim and tells his name to the game master; he reveals the one who was killed at the start of the next day, the victim has also got the right of the last word. The exception are the first day and night: nobody is getting killed, the players just introduce themselves during the day, and the game master tell each 'Mafia' member about the others during the night.

The game ends when either all 'Mafia' members are killed, or when 'Mafia' becomes majority.

There also could be a few special characters among 'Citizens' who can act once during each night like a 'Cop' who can ask the GM about any player if he's 'Mafia' member or not, and a 'Doctor' who can protect any player for one night (he can't protect the same person more than 1 night in a row), so he cannot be killed by 'Mafia'.

If I find at least 8 potential participants, I will start the game. I will be the GM, and I guarantee you fair gameplay (roles will be distributed randomly), PTP-related lore and setting :D and regular posting. The only requirements for the participants are:
  • Be capable of understanding and expressing their thoughts in English;
  • Be active on the Forums (if you don't post in your turn in 24 hours, you will be expelled I guess);
  • To follow simple rules and GM instructions, to post in your turn and be silent out of turn - otherwise any forum game turns into pure chaos.

The game will start on the 15.03.2017. You are free to join until that date. The list of participants is below:
  • Carg
  • Skittles
  • GlennN
  • Tounsix
  • HiTo
  • PraY
  • Finisha.
  • Mia
  • Mar.Maroc
  • Arabiane
  • Ege
  • Yash
  • LPCOLTER
  • Uthar_Smith

Post here if you'd like to take part. Also any constructive ideas and suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you. :)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 10:55:27 pm by Altus_Demens »
A paltry man and poor of mind
At all things ever mocks;
For never he knows, what he ought to know,
That he is not free from faults.

Offline Carg

• VIP
  • Score: 17525
Re: Mafia
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 07:24:34 pm »
Format your PC pls

Offline Skittles

• Admin
  • Score: 16323
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 07:42:49 pm »
I used to play that game back in the days. It is a great fun, so count me in, please  8)

Offline GlennN

• m3allem
  • Admin
  • Score: 72333
  • Gen. Amin Yabath
    • Dubai Oil
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 07:48:35 pm »
I used to play that game back in the days. It is a great fun, so count me in, please  8)

Although I haven't understood the concept well, based on Skittles' opinion, I'm willing to give it a try. +1

Offline Tounsix

• VIP
  • Score: Unknown
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 08:14:56 pm »

Although I haven't understood the concept well, based on Skittles' opinion, I'm willing to give it a try. +1

Offline Hito

• VIP
  • Score: 18790
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 08:32:20 pm »
I have no idea what's this ,I wanna join
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 08:37:49 pm by HiTo »

Offline PraY

• VIP
  • Score: 12526
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 08:42:15 pm »
I would like to participate but I have not understood much the concept of the game, we must see a video or
something that can make us better understand, if not who will be the master of the game ( maybe you ) ?
And we will play it here in the forum of PTP or in another Forum? And we will talk about what exactly? These are my questions, but at all it seems a good party game.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 08:45:13 pm by PraY »

Offline SoLoD

• Youtube stunting channel
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 08:55:07 pm »
party game, not PC one
stopped reading there
You know the nice thing about the Bronx Zoo, Charlie? There's bars between you and the monkeys.

Offline Finisher

• VIP
  • Score: 45472
  • Jerusalemite
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 08:57:19 pm »
I want to join!

Offline Miau

• VIP
  • Score: 46079
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 09:15:11 pm »
Count me in! If you want we can take turns to be the game master so you can join the game too :)

I would like to participate but I have not understood much the concept of the game, we must see a video or
something that can make us better understand, if not who will be the master of the game ( maybe you ) ?
And we will play it here in the forum of PTP or in another Forum? And we will talk about what exactly? These are my questions, but at all it seems a good party game.

Hm, I'm afraid that explanation is simple enough to find an easier one, but everybody will probably get it when they see the game in action. I guess we'll play right in this topic, yes. We will talk about who we believe to be mafia member and why. It doesn't necessarily have to be the truth, for example mafia members will always try to trick other players to vote to kill innocent civilians and leave mafia members alive. That's the kind of discussions we'll have I guess ;)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 09:28:15 pm by Mia »
Oh! I don't want to fight you, Jorah the Andal. What do I have to gain? If I win, I'm the shit who killed an old man. If I lose, I'm the shit who was killed by an old man.

~ Daario Naharis

Offline Rage

• VIP
  • Score: 44717
  • ◢ ◤
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 09:20:25 pm »

Offline MAR.

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 10:46:12 pm »
Want to try it

Offline Arabiane

• VIP
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 11:08:04 pm »
count me in !
because i want to knew skitole last words before dying  8)

Offline PraY

• VIP
  • Score: 12526
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 11:10:33 pm »
count me in !

And for sure i'm the one who's gonna kill him for some reasons he really knows ;)

Offline Altus_Demens

• Admin
  • Score: 23951
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 12:35:27 am »
Nice, I suppose we are reaching the number of players required. :)

Let's start the game on the Wednesday then, 15.03.2017. Everybody is free to join; I'll put the list of players to my first post in this topic, tell me if you want to be added/removed from there.

I will be the game master, at least for the first game - who knows, maybe we'll have numerous amount of them. As for your question, Mia replied them correctly with the exception that I will start a separate topic for a game itself - but it is a technical nuance.

If you want we can take turns to be the game master so you can join the game too :)
Thank you, but unfortunately there is no option to be GM and player simultaneously in Mafia - unless each time you will be erasing my memories about who is who. As I said, I will probably play future games if any - if someone else woule like to be GM too.

Each time you call Skitt so, I remember Scytale, one of the main characters of Dune series. He is the last one to be associated with our actual Skitt in my mind though. ;D
A paltry man and poor of mind
At all things ever mocks;
For never he knows, what he ought to know,
That he is not free from faults.