Author Topic: Bug tracking suggestion  (Read 1603 times)

Offline YoMama

• VIP
  • Score: 24630
Bug tracking suggestion
« on: October 06, 2016, 08:25:15 am »
I think it would probably be a good idea to start keeping closer track of the version of Plan B bugs are reported under. Maybe add a /version command and request that people use it for their bug reports? If you wanted something more complex, you could also add a /sendinfo command that saves the current status of the player, maybe various other things (like President(s) or events in the server from the last 30 seconds) and gives the person who used it an ID for the bug information to paste into their bug report. It would help with debugging, and there could also be a version for hacking reports and/or developing the anticheat. You might want to limit who is able to generate these reports to limit wasted disk space, or create other specialized commands, like /pressendinfo for a President-related bug.

For the hacking example, suppose someone rams you off into space- do /hacksendinfo (maybe you could include the ID or IDs of the suspect(s)) and the information captured from before and after you were rammed could be analyzed to figure out what things could be used as a "signature" for that particular hack to be detected by the anticheat.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 08:27:48 am by YoMama »

Offline Jonne

• Head Admin
  • Score: 3751
Re: Bug tracking suggestion
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 06:06:26 pm »
Sorry for the late reply, I'm just trying to clean up the forums a bit and found some topics I never replied to.

It's a good idea, but I don't think it will help us that much. For each bug, there's mostly some very specific information I need and I mostly add that after the bug got reported. That's why I don't think a general "/sendinfo" command won't help us that much, because most of the info in there would be irrelevant if I don't know beforehand what we're looking for. Mostly it will also be too late and I'll need to check what happened at the exact time the bug happened. For the hacks, a lot of hacks get detected already and report a lot of information about the specific hack, so for that it isn't necessary. It just takes a lot of time to sift through all that info, make a change to the AC and let it test again.

Offline YoMama

• VIP
  • Score: 24630
Re: Bug tracking suggestion
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 07:38:15 am »
Sorry for the late reply, I'm just trying to clean up the forums a bit and found some topics I never replied to.

It's a good idea, but I don't think it will help us that much. For each bug, there's mostly some very specific information I need and I mostly add that after the bug got reported. That's why I don't think a general "/sendinfo" command won't help us that much, because most of the info in there would be irrelevant if I don't know beforehand what we're looking for. Mostly it will also be too late and I'll need to check what happened at the exact time the bug happened. For the hacks, a lot of hacks get detected already and report a lot of information about the specific hack, so for that it isn't necessary. It just takes a lot of time to sift through all that info, make a change to the AC and let it test again.
Thanks for dealing with these old topics- it made me smile to see all the replies. :)

Sorry it's not of much use.