Author Topic: Let's choose (again) the map!  (Read 7305 times)

Offline Altus_Demens

• Admin
  • Score: 23951
Re: Let's choose (again) the map!
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2016, 10:36:14 am »
I like your idea, Altus. Question is whether it's worth the time scripting it since it's pretty complicated (Tell me if I'm wrong)
Not really, Uthar. :) A code sketch from my head:
Code: [Select]
enum maps = { MAP_LS, MAP_SF, MAP_LV, MAP_NSA, MAP_WW, MAP_FC, MAP_RC };
new map;
// ...
new rnd = random(100);
if (map <= MAP_LV) { // if it was city map
if (rnd < 30) map = (map + rnd%15 + 1)%3; // picking another city map
else if (rnd < 46) map = MAP_NSA; // picking NSA
else map = MAP_WW + (rnd - 46)%18; // picking country map
}
else if (map == NSA) { // if it was NSA: pretty much the same (with different probabilities)
if (rnd < 54) map = MAP_LS + rnd%18;
else map = MAP_WW + (rnd - 54)%16;
}
else { // if it was country map
if (rnd < 60) map = rnd%20;
else if (rnd < 76) map = MAP_NSA;
else map = MAP_WW + (map - MAP_WW + (rand - 76)%12 + 1)%3;
}
LoadMap(map);
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 10:47:42 am by Altus_Demens »
A paltry man and poor of mind
At all things ever mocks;
For never he knows, what he ought to know,
That he is not free from faults.

Offline Finisher

• VIP
  • Score: 45472
  • Jerusalemite
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2016, 11:05:41 am »
Back in the day, when maps are finished and the selection for the next map menu appears everyone used to spam NSA NSA NSA, After we finish NSA, we play NSA again ::)
u know what will happen ? NSA all the way ( happen in the past in 10 maps people play , u get like 6 times NSA 1 SF , 1LS 1WV and if no mistake u could get by luck red country after play all day )

So don't bother, keep it the way it is. We play all the maps randomly anyway so I don't see the point of suggesting such thing

M a k a v e l i .

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2016, 03:31:29 pm »
Tbh, I also like it random as it is now.

Offline Miau

• VIP
  • Score: 46079
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2016, 07:03:05 pm »
Yes, I think map votings should be back, because we're very often playing maps that hardly anyone wants to play. I must say I'm surprised to read NSA used to be picked all the time, it's not a very popular one nowadays :D
I would add two restrictions though:
1. Only registered (>0 level) players can vote. It's a way to make sure they played enough time to get to know what every map is like.
2. Don't propose the previous map as a voting option, so it can't be repeated without playing at least another map before.

About people just clicking the first element in the dialog, two options. Make the first list element "blank vote" and return "blank vote" if the player closes the dialog or use an alternative system. I was playing around with textdraws and created a menu that could look nice.
http://i.imgur.com/5JjSn9z.png
Oh! I don't want to fight you, Jorah the Andal. What do I have to gain? If I win, I'm the shit who killed an old man. If I lose, I'm the shit who was killed by an old man.

~ Daario Naharis

Offline Fimpen

• Former Head Admin
  • Score: Unknown
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2016, 07:32:27 pm »
Current map system is there for a reason. The majority of the players cant be bothered to vote for a map. They will just pick the top choice to remove the dialog box.

Altus idea is good. So if we should change anything, its to a system like that.

Offline Miau

• VIP
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2016, 07:43:46 pm »
Current map system is there for a reason. The majority of the players cant be bothered to vote for a map. They will just pick the top choice to remove the dialog box.

No need to use a dialog box or put an actual map as first option. You can just put blank vote by default.
Oh! I don't want to fight you, Jorah the Andal. What do I have to gain? If I win, I'm the shit who killed an old man. If I lose, I'm the shit who was killed by an old man.

~ Daario Naharis

Offline Fimpen

• Former Head Admin
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2016, 08:18:20 pm »

No need to use a dialog box or put an actual map as first option. You can just put blank vote by default.

How would that work then? When the majority of the players will just choose blank, What will happen then? The few people that can be arsed to vote for a map, Will they get to decide what maps should be played for everyone else? Pretty unfair don't you think? 

Offline Altus_Demens

• Admin
  • Score: 23951
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2016, 09:19:48 pm »
I was playing around with textdraws and created a menu that could look nice.
http://i.imgur.com/5JjSn9z.png
Though I can't stand samp menus, this one looks really nice. :o Well done.

Still, I prefer my own suggestion. :P
A paltry man and poor of mind
At all things ever mocks;
For never he knows, what he ought to know,
That he is not free from faults.

Offline Miau

• VIP
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2016, 09:46:10 pm »

How would that work then? When the majority of the players will just choose blank, What will happen then? The few people that can be arsed to vote for a map, Will they get to decide what maps should be played for everyone else? Pretty unfair don't you think?

No, it's not unfair since abstention is just an expression of no preference for any of the options over the rest. The same happens in the elections, those who vote choose a government that rules the entire country, including those that didn't vote.

I didn't like the system as it used to be, and I don't think the dialog solution is the best since it encourages abstention. As I said before, imo there should be a clickable menu, so it takes the same effort and time to vote a map or blank: a click.

~ Daario Naharis

Offline Matt

• Polski American
  • VIP
  • Score: 1564
  • An IT enthusiast and gadget geek
    • MattMski
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2016, 10:19:19 pm »
I like random maps being selected. People tend to be pretty biased these days. -1 to this

RD og, Ex Admin. Been playing PTP since 2011 (Tenshi's PTP, not Jonne's)

Offline Sani

• VIP
  • BEST SPREE IN PTP 151!!! :D
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2016, 06:18:05 pm »
I like random maps being selected. People tend to be pretty biased these days. -1 to this

Offline Santa Claus is coming to town

• VIP
  • Professional tea drinker & shit stirrer
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2016, 09:13:46 am »

Much like the election of politicians  ;D

3 seconds to vote on a map that will last between 10 minutes to hours+, if you can't be fucked to vote then too bad. Why not let the players have a say? They're the one playing... Take CS:GO as an example, you vote after the end of the match etc.

Make the 1st choice of the dialog box either blank or randomize what comes up as 1st choice every time.  It won't be a problem if the users just spam ENTER to get rid of the dialog box anymore, their vote will be randomized anyway!  ::)

Thanks Obama.

Offline Finisher

• VIP
  • Score: 45472
  • Jerusalemite
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2016, 09:49:35 am »
WE DO NOT NEED THIS.

Offline Jonne

• Head Admin
  • Score: 3751
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2016, 02:31:28 pm »
Map voting won't be back, I don't think it would matter a lot anyway. As said before, most people just picked the top map and only a handful people actually voted. The system I had in mind, would be one with the top option being 'None' or just a blank option, for the people that didn't want to vote or just skip the screen, and the maps being the remaining maps of the 'cycle'. For example, if we've played LS and LV already, you'd only be able to choose between SF, RC, FC, WV and NSA. But, I think the greatest downside of this system is, that people will always pick the more popular maps, and we'd probably always end up with FC and NSA as the last options and a lot of players would leave once they see the next 2 maps are going to be that.

Now, I'll look into adding the distribution Altus suggested, but I doubt it will have any noticeable difference on such a small scale. I'm willing to put it to the test though, but it might take a while until I get around to that.