Author Topic: Shamals and president's air/water camping  (Read 6941 times)

Offline Miau

• VIP
  • Score: 46079
Re: Shamals and president's air/water camping
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2016, 06:07:58 pm »
That sounds sudden to me...

Well, I don't think this is worth a language discussion, so I'll try to make it brief. Sudden means that it wasn't expected. It was expected, at least by me, because of the events I described.

Good job president and security- they limited the ways people can follow, even though you did have a fast vehicle to follow them in- the andromada.

No, I've been testing their speeds on my server. When flying horizontally and at a constant speed, Shamals reach ~75 GTA SA length units per second, while the Andromada can't go faster than ~50 units per second. I've also tested Rustlers and their horizontal constant speed is ~65 units per second. Just to make it clearer, a Shamal is 15% per cent faster than a Rustler. Maybe it looks like an irrelevant difference, but it's not. If we have a look at vehicles we're more familiar with, for example a NRG and a LSPD car, the speed difference is ~15% too. I guess nobody would even think about forcing terrorists to stop NRGs using LSPD cars... It's impossible? No, the president can always make his moves too predictable and get the tire shot at an intersection, but a good driver will always avoid areas where terrorists are trying to ambush him. So what's left for terrorists? Chasing... And that's when speed has a vital role.

Rustlers can also outmaneuver shamals, it just takes strategy. You go up higher, then use the altitude in a dive to match their speed. With the president on the wing, it's even easier. They can't make sudden altitude changes or turns, so they're extremely limited.

Yes, but you need to be able to predict their flying path, which is not always so easy. Like I said before in the NRG vs LSPD car example, a smart pilot won't make his path predictable. It do believe it's possible if the pilot makes the necessary mistakes and if the chaser has some advanced Rustler skills, but it's not likely to happen and in fact it didn't happen in 14 minutes a couple of days ago.

Also, you couldn't manage to stop him from taking off on the shamal in the first place? A terrorist in a rustler from the very beginning would have killed him before he even managed to get far off the ground. I've never seen the president survive on a shamal when I'm in the server for this very reason.

Yup, that's what should've happened. But I guess all the terros where doing something else and couldn't prevent the Shamal from taking off. So then what?

... but he didn't survive. It sounds like he was lucky that he didn't fall off earlier.

My point was: if it's possible to remain on the wing for 14 minutes, it's also possible to remain on it for 15 minutes. No one caught them, they just made a mistake.

Right you are: there isn't a good reason why the president loses health in planes, so there isn't a good reason why the president should lose health on them, either.

Well, nothing new here. I'm my opinion there's a very good reason. I believe the president should be forced to take risks so the security has to engage terrorists. I said before, it encourages teamwork, action and fun in general. But as both of us perfectly know, you disagree.

If your only surviving tactic is speed, you're going to die. Participation is not something the president dictates, it's something the other players are completely responsible for. See my previous statement about being a successful president- the point is to limit the number of people who can get you. If someone has the skill, they'll get you anyway. And before you claim that NRGs limit it to only VIPs, let me say that rustlers are extremely effective against almost anything on the ground.

Of course, I never said it makes their participation impossible. All I'm saying is that those tactics are definitely the most demotivating when it comes to other players' participation. We all know what to do to protect or how to kill a president on a NRG or on a plane because we've played hundreds of rounds, we have the support of fantastic mates that are there where the job requires two players, we know where to find the appropriate vehicles, we have extra weapons... And it's still tiring and demotivating for some of us. I suppose you can imagine how it feels for someone who doesn't even have all this experience and resources.

I actively encourage people to /rc t when I'm president. I hate seeing the size of the security team double when I become president. The people who rely on all the regulars protecting them are using a valid tactic, though I don't like it. Think of it as a challenge, as I do. It's certainly more fun than a game where the terrorists always win.

I know you do that and I applaud it. I wasn't referring to you. Unfortunately it's still an unusual thing in PTP.

PS: Thank you for discussing about the suggestion instead of its author, unlike other people have done.

I'm so disappointed if this is the case, I'd be upset too but must be always showing a sign of respect to those newbies who exceed everyone's thoughts of them. Look what a random on a shamal did to our suggestion board, someone can't handle a good President. They want the easy kills, like chasing after Civilians and running from Cops

No, in fact I think that those newbies did an awesome job, since their goal was to survive. It was indeed a wonderful idea, I wasn't trying to sound sarcastic.
It's not that "someone can't handle a good President", it's that terrorists don't have any means to stop those presidents. This suggestion isn't about making presidents worse or easier, it's about giving both sides of the same resources.
About the last sentence, keep it for yourself or for the off-topic section, since it has nothing to do with the suggestion.

Just leave everything as it is, Presidents aren't meant to be limited or killed easily.

But they aren't meant to be almost unreachable either...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 06:11:58 pm by Mia »
Oh! I don't want to fight you, Jorah the Andal. What do I have to gain? If I win, I'm the shit who killed an old man. If I lose, I'm the shit who was killed by an old man.

~ Daario Naharis

Offline manitupuma

• VIP
  • Score: Unknown
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 08:49:33 pm »
Altus ich finde es zur krass gesehen. Wenn du als Terror mir rustler fliegst und Freunde drauf sind Schaft man das im 2-3 Anlauf.  Am besten mit sniper. Hier ist der Vorteil von vip. Keine Lust auf englisch zu schreiben hoffe es ist okay ;)?

Offline YoMama

• VIP
  • Score: 24630
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2016, 11:46:32 pm »
I just want to make it equal and maybe more fair.
Second, about the timers and restrictions. Whatever point of view you do stick to, you must admit that the current situation is totally illogical: timers do not prevent camping, they are pointless, as they can be avoided too easily. So they should be either expanded to really prevent camping, or removed as obsolete.
They don't prevent camping, in the aircraft case it just needlessly discourage the people with no skill from flying in planes, while people like me just live with the timer. I personally think they were added because Tenshi didn't like the people who used those tactics- I never remember a suggestion for them. He would eject me from planes even with the timer.

In the adjacent topic you've suggested to allow presidents to drive planes (thus, all of the vehicles including hydras would be available for them).
No, I didn't suggest that he should be able to fly everything. Rustlers and slower- shamals would actually be too powerful if there isn't surfing involved.

If we get rid from anti-camping timers completely, the distribution will be shifted to air camping. Because it's generally easier. You fly around carelessly in a rustler, if you're getting shot down, you can always eject, land near any vehicle and repeat until victory. I don't think it's bad, or I discourage it. As you've correctly stated, it's also a way to survive, to outsmart terrorists. But I personally don't want 80% of presidents doing so. That's what would kill the gamemode in my opinion. SAMP is not just a fighter simulator. I also agree with you that these systems and timers are not a matter of fairness, but of a convention between players about how do they want to play. I've stated my point of view; it's up to others to agree or disagree.
No, people won't go to 80% flying or even near 20%, and if they did, that would be a good thing. It's hard, it's risky, and it isn't "careless". Do you think any of the stuff you're saying would be true if someone competent is attacking? I'm not blowing my own horn here, but I don't often worry about being able to shoot someone down or kill them once they're on the ground. For most presidents, it's not a good move to get in a plane when I'm in game. SAMP also isn't an FPS, which is what more timers would turn it into. SAMP has a rare balance between air, water, and the ground that most games don't have. Air and water are sadly neglected.

I don't think there is any need to reduce it to absurdity. I've never suggested to add more timers or new restrictions. Skills must be a good, main tool to find your road to the victory; but they alone shouldn't be a guarantor of your success, otherwise the whole game would loose its sense. Following your arguments, let's just instantly save YoMama as president if he reaches rustler, or any peace-making tough VIP if he starts camping with 586 VIP securities in Area. Does it make any sense? No. So let's quit demagoguery.
It didn't take much reduction. You just suggested a surfing timer in this topic. If you're saying that it's absurd to kill the president when he gets a plane or to Area 69- ever notice I take more risks as the president gets closer to area 69? I often stop him before he gets there because I'm powerless once he does.

There will always be some restrictions. 2-shooting and c-bug are disallowed, but do you think they don't require skills? If you want to abuse them efficiently, you must have respective skills. Same goes for, say, camping under textures at some glitched places. It requires skill and knowledge to perform this too. But the convention we've all made and we all agree about (as I haven't seen any topics discussing this yet) prohibits it.
Texture bugs are different. They aren't something that you can just get better at, they're something that you have to know or not know. 2-shot and cbug make weapons overpowered- different situation, again.

I know that presidents were not allowed to use NRGs back into the very remote past, but it had been eventually abandoned. Why? Because you've got as many opportunities riding an NRG as the terrorists chasing you. Even AK47 at the close range can be deadly for you. It is fun to chase you. Isn't it interesting and tense for you to avoid our line of side as well? I hope so. I want all of the ways of playing to be challenging and interesting equally and mutually. And if the balance gets shifted towards air camping as nothing would prevent presis from doing so, I doubt it would be interesting for both sides.
I don't ever remember NRGs being prohibited. If you fly a little more, you'll realize that planes have just as much nuance and strategy. As a terrorist, it bugs me that I can't chase after presidents in them for that reason.

Instead, I want to make anti-camping system somewhat more severe to prevent people from camping in the air more often as personally I won't find it exciting. Same goes for potential water camping on unoccupied boats.
It won't stop the people you're targeting from flying. As I said, it's already extremely high-risk. I can't handle more than two reasonable people chasing me in a plane, and definitely not more than one if they are near my skill level. "Watercamping" is one of the worst strategies possible and doesn't even merit consideration.

...why are you having peace with most of the regulars?..
I don't; I piss people off all the time by shooting them when they're on another team. In the case of those I am friends with, I don't think someone has to hate me to play against me effectively, or vice versa. I've been playing this game for a long time- the people who are worth their salt don't mind if you play against them.

I've also tested Rustlers and their horizontal constant speed is ~65 units per second. Just to make it clearer, a Shamal is 15% per cent faster than a Rustler.
I stand corrected, then. I think they seem faster because they seem to have more momentum.

Yes, but you need to be able to predict their flying path, which is not always so easy. Like I said before in the NRG vs LSPD car example, a smart pilot won't make his path predictable. It do believe it's possible if the pilot makes the necessary mistakes and if the chaser has some advanced Rustler skills, but it's not likely to happen and in fact it didn't happen in 14 minutes a couple of days ago.
Sounds like more chasers need advanced rustler skills...

Well, nothing new here. I'm my opinion there's a very good reason. I believe the president should be forced to take risks so the security has to engage terrorists. I said before, it encourages teamwork, action and fun in general. But as both of us perfectly know, you disagree.
Riding on any aircraft is very risky. As I said, the teamwork part is not dependent on the president. I try to follow after the president regardless of their vehicle- if I can't keep up, that's my fault, not theirs. You seem to imagine teamwork as strictly rule-based, "security sticks with the president". I believe the security should eliminate direct threats to the president, but they don't have to be in the same vehicle or area for them to do that. Being on another NRG well behind the president to take out the terrorists is better than right next to him, taking the same bullets.

Of course, I never said it makes their participation impossible. All I'm saying is that those tactics are definitely the most demotivating when it comes to other players' participation. We all know what to do to protect or how to kill a president on a NRG or on a plane because we've played hundreds of rounds, we have the support of fantastic mates that are there where the job requires two players, we know where to find the appropriate vehicles, we have extra weapons... And it's still tiring and demotivating for some of us. I suppose you can imagine how it feels for someone who doesn't even have all this experience and resources.
Would you prefer an easy kill on a neutered president? I personally prefer the challenge.

Yup, that's what should've happened. But I guess all the terros where doing something else and couldn't prevent the Shamal from taking off. So then what?
...terrorists don't have any means to stop those presidents. This suggestion isn't about making presidents worse or easier, it's about giving both sides of the same resources.
You did have an opportunity to get him easily, but you missed it. The president did a good job, beat you to taking off, and almost won using a high-risk tactic. Good job, president.

P.S. Thanks for carefully explaining your reasonings. I wish it became the norm here.
Are you regretting this yet?

Offline Alcor

• VIP
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2016, 06:06:22 am »
Basically what YoMama said, also yes there is a difference between surfing a plane and being inside it where you can freely maneuver @Mia.

Presidents get fucked on a regular basis already from either vips or combat shotgun spams, so let that one intelligent enough president have his own chance surfing on a plane or camping in a boat. These strategies don't happen regularly anyways, so it's nice to have a challenge from time to time instead of the normal combat shotgun chases.

In conclusion, I don't think the limitations need to be applied.

Offline Faro0s

• VIP
  • Score: 22227
  • Sniper aimbotter. -PluG
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2016, 08:08:18 am »
How about you guys stop with your articles? It's too big and nonsense.
Shamals won't be removed, it have been a part of ptp long time, why would it be removed when someone can't react towards it ? So no.
About the president,
I don't think it is good to take their only advantage..

Since 2010.
• Reason for the report (Go into more detail about what they did):I killed ahmed and he tried to accuse me for killing him

Offline Rage

• VIP
  • Score: 46597
  • ◢ ◤
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2016, 08:21:18 am »
It's a big -1 
Shamals won't be removed, it have been a part of ptp long time,..

Offline Miau

• VIP
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2016, 11:45:28 am »
why would it be removed when someone can't react towards it ?

Someone? Lol. I'm still waiting to see a Rustler shooting down a Shamal with a decent pilot  ;D
Show me, master.
Oh! I don't want to fight you, Jorah the Andal. What do I have to gain? If I win, I'm the shit who killed an old man. If I lose, I'm the shit who was killed by an old man.

~ Daario Naharis

Offline Sani

• VIP
  • BEST SPREE IN PTP 151!!! :D
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2016, 01:32:08 pm »
BIG -1. Just get into a rustler, problem solved. You're making this thread because yesterday there was indeed a president who was camping onto the wing of a Shamal, but you weren't smart enough to know how to take him down. I was the one in the rustler shooting at the shamal in the air and I can tell you from experience that you can indeed catch up to Shamals and shoot them down.

Altus didn't make this suggestion because of a sudden inspiration. Last night...
That sounds sudden to me...

I'm so disappointed if this is the case, I'd be upset too but must be always showing a sign of respect to those newbies who exceed everyone's thoughts of them. Look what a random on a shamal did to our suggestion board, someone can't handle a good President. They want the easy kills, like chasing after Civilians and running from Cops
^ Pretty accurate

Offline COBRA

• PTP Member since 2006
  • VIP
  • PPLV Clan Founder
    • PPLV WebPage
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2016, 01:48:49 pm »

• Removing shamals
    Shamal is the fastest aircraft in all maps but NSA. So if the president stays on its wing, it is pretty complicated to shoot him down as you can't reach him with rustler. So I suggest removing shamals completely. Another possible option could be just adding more shamals to the airports, but I don't really like it as it wouldn't change anything unless you've got a sniper on your wing.
  • Draining president's health if he's surfing air/water vehicles
    For now the anti-camping system only punishes president if he's inside an aircraft or floating in the water. I suggest to slowly reduce his health if he's surfing aircraft or boats too. For now presidents can easily camp in the water/in the air, and I suppose the system should prevent it.

1. Removing Shamals:
I don't think removing shamals is really needed. This situation happens so rare in PTP. So what about getting another shamal and following them? We really don't need to make an effort to remove shamals in PTP. So not needed in my opinion..

But you got your own solution at Second suggestion already. Just Draining the president's health if he's surfing in air can solve that shamal camping also.

2. Draining president's health if he's surfing air/water vehicles:
I agree for the air surfing but I disagree for water surfing. Because boats are already slow and can be chased with rustlers, helicopters, also with another boats too.

If it's hard to code that anti-Air Surfing stuff, then let it be with this way, we used to play like this and it's not a big deal really.

●  PPLV Website - PPLV Clan Topic  ●

Nostalgia..

Offline Gablo

• VIP
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2016, 03:54:21 pm »
Shamals and air/water surfing never were problems in all these years, I disagree with the suggestions

Offline Miau

• VIP
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2016, 04:30:32 pm »
1. Removing Shamals:
I don't think removing shamals is really needed. This situation happens so rare in PTP. So what about getting another shamal and following them? We really don't need to make an effort to remove shamals in PTP. So not needed in my opinion..

But you got your own solution at Second suggestion already. Just Draining the president's health if he's surfing in air can solve that shamal camping also.

2. Draining president's health if he's surfing air/water vehicles:
I agree for the air surfing but I disagree for water surfing. Because boats are already slow and can be chased with rustlers, helicopters, also with another boats too.

If it's hard to code that anti-Air Surfing stuff, then let it be with this way, we used to play like this and it's not a big deal really.

I pretty much agree with this. There's no need to remove the Shamals if the player loses health while camping on an aircraft. By the way, it's usually impossible to follow him with another Shamal, because there are 1 or 2 Shamals per map and the presi and his team take both of them.

~ Daario Naharis

Offline Finisher

• VIP
  • Score: 45472
  • Jerusalemite
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2016, 04:50:57 pm »
How about adding a poll to this suggestion? To end your pain for good

Offline Storm

• VIP
  • Score: 1263
  • Respect if you want to be respected
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2016, 12:18:04 am »
why would it be removed when someone can't react towards it ?

Someone? Lol. I'm still waiting to see a Rustler shooting down a Shamal with a decent pilot  ;D
Show me, master.

I can't say I'm a good pilot but I can take down a goddamn shamal with a rustler all by myself. The map of course has a boundary and he can't run straight forever, all you have to do is outsmart the president's team to beat them.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 12:19:44 am by Storm »

Offline Jonne

• Head Admin
  • Score: 3751
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2016, 01:18:01 am »
Judging by the replies, these suggestions won't be added. Surfing an airplane is already more risky than just sitting inside of it, so I don't think there should be any penalties for it.