Author Topic: Traveling around the World - Leaving 9th of October 2018  (Read 21796 times)

Offline Barto

• VIP
  • Score: Unknown
  • PPLV Clan Co-Leader
Traveling around the World - Leaving 9th of October 2018
« on: January 07, 2018, 03:12:09 pm »
Traveling around the World!

Many of you asked me about my plans to travel. Because of this I decided to make a topic so I can show it to you guys  ;D This Topic shall be updated everytime that something has changed in my plans or when I have an update on anything

ME!
Lets first start with who I am. My name is Bart, I am a 23 year old student that lives in Katwijk, The Netherlands. For the past 4 years I studied Business, Management, Economics and Law at the University of The Hague.

This year I am writing my Thesis about the positive effect of renewable marine harbors in The Netherlands. I start in February 2018 and I am planning to finish it in May the same year.

The past few year haven't been easy, the pressure of university and the aftermath of my depression a few year earlier took its toll. Last year I had an internship at a horrible company and I decided that it was enough. For years I had plans to travel the world, but now I was really going for it! For the past year I have been planning my travel plans. All of this is going to happen after the summer of 2018. My plans are to leave in September 2018 for the duration between 9+ months.

Preparation
First the preparation. This is waaaaayyy more then I expected. From the visa to travel documents so many things that need to be done.

List of things I already Have
  • Passport
  • Traveldocuments
  • Insurance
  • Clothing
  • Care Products
  • Gadgets (GoPro, Phone, E-reader, ect.
  • Books
  • Ect.

List of things I still need to buy
  • Backpack
  • International Drivers license
  • EHBO Kit
  • VISA!
  • Plane Tickets
  • Creditcard
  • And a ton more

Small Collection of the stuff I already Bought:

And because I really love to Photograph and Film things I also got a GoPro:

For the next months I will keep collecting the stuff I need, like the backpack I will get on my Birthday in March :D

The Road Ahead

First stop: The United States of America

East Coast
This country has been on my list forever. I will leave from Schiphol Nation Airport near Amsterdam to New York. Here I will stay for around a week. Follow by that I am planning to visit Washington DC. After that I will take a plane to Miami where I plan to stay for a week enjoying the sun. But also, hopefully a space launch from Cape Canaveral.
Beside my love for environment and technology I also have a passion for Space Exploration. That is why I want to witness the launch of a rocket.

West Coast
Next I will go to the East Coast. Here I want to Visit San Francisco, Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon! These plans are not final yet, so edit will take place here :)

Japan, the country of the rising sun
This will be one of my favorites country's to go to! The tranquility, culture and amazing countrysight of Japan are the most reasons why I want to visit it. When I arrive there I will spend a week in Tokyo and for the remainder of my time I will travel with the railwaysystem. For that I have bought a traincard. This traincard makes it possible for me to travel around Japan for 14 days with one card. My plans are to stay in Japan for around 1 Month.

Down Under, Australia

The highlight of my travel. The first two country's were for enjoying, but here I will have to work. At the moment I am working of getting a Working Visa that makes it possible for me to work and live in Australia for one whole year! For the first months I am planning to work in Australia. I hope I can find a job for at least 3-6 months and earn some money for something really special :)

Like some of you guys know I love the road. I work at a BMW dealer, have worked as a Taxi Driver and a Delivery man for a industrial company of my father. The road is truly my home. So While I am working in Australia I am also planning to..... (drumrollll......)

BUY a Van! And yes it will be an ordinary van. But I got a few months to work on it. The idea is to rebuild the van to a Campervan, where I can sleep, eat and drive around with. With the money I earned I will be able to build this. But the benefit of this is not only freedom, but it is also much more cheaper. I think I will be able to sustain myself for the next 4 months without the need of any more work. I don't have to rent a room or a car. With this I will be able to drive all over the coast of Australia.

All things come to an end

At a certain point I will be out of money in Australia. When that happens I will sell my Campervan and spend the rest of my money, which I got from selling my van, to travel back home. Of course not directly home :) . The plans are to visit a few cheap country's like:
  • Thailand
  • Bali

After a well deserved holiday there, I plan to travel back to Europe. But first visit the eastern part of Europe and the southerns part :)

For now this are all my plans. They will expand over the next few months and be more detailed. I would love to keep you guys up to date. I am planning to keep updating this topic on the road and might even start a real blog. For now this is it.

I think I only got to post around 20% of the stuff I already prepared for or already know, but I will keep modify this topic for the next few days.

If you guys have any suggestion what I should see around the road feel free to post it here!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 03:57:38 pm by Barto »

Offline Son_Gun

• First Silver Dragon Emperor
Re: Traveling around the World
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 03:31:29 pm »
You should not miss Canada if you are going to USA. Its wonderful country to visit. Best peroid to visit is spring. Good luck. Happy journey.

Offline Vishwas

• VIP
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 03:34:47 pm »
Woah, I've always wanted to travel as well but I'm still a student ,I hopefully will one day.

You really need a camera,a DSLR. I've had it for a year now and God, it just adds a lot touch to any place you go. Recording in high quality is a bonus but you already have a GoPro so you don't need that feature but photography,yeah buy one..

I can't really suggest the places as which I've not visited myself but I can I'd say why not visit the real LS, Los Angeles, California US. Don't go in groove St obviously lol. It would be fun to actually see it in real. If you're into cars I think Beverly Hills is a must visit since all riches live there and like Lamborghinis pass often. I'll be like a boy at candy stores seeing it omg. This is all based on my views based on seeing things on internet so excuse me if some local has anything different to share.

Also, why not do oneof those challenges ... A picture a day or no shave ... They look dope.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 03:37:00 pm by Vishwas »
Wooho! I'm a Rebel just for kicks, kicking it like it's 1966!

Offline Fimpen

• Former Head Admin
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 05:04:38 pm »
If you like to drive, Why not roadtrip in the US instead? Saw this clip a while ago. Pretty interesting actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K30NUv28sHs&t=

Offline Darwin

• VIP
  • Good choice,Bad choice life still goes on
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 05:41:41 pm »
yes! he can roadtrip it will be a good trip seeing around the U.S an fimpen i saw that clip a couple hours ago an yes its pretty good! :p

Offline Shawkhawk did nothing wrong!

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 06:11:48 pm »
Wow! Good luck! I'd love to see your vlogs

Offline Yash

• VIP
  • Score: 2448
  • “Anyone can do my job, but no one can be me.”
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 07:22:16 pm »
No India? Wtf....
#PlanB.Echo* [14] VIP Chat Quinn: How's Kencer
#PlanB.Echo* [10] VIP Chat Schottky_BiB: deadman?
#PlanB.Echo* [32] VIP Chat [RZ]Deadman: ?
#PlanB.Echo* [10] VIP Chat Schottky_BiB: yash is asking how are you
#PlanB.Echo* [9] VIP Chat SatviK:  XD
#PlanB.Echo* [14] VIP Chat Quinn: Xd

Offline Miau

• VIP
  • Score: 46079
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 07:34:51 pm »
Not a bad way to burn a few thousand euros x) have fun
Oh! I don't want to fight you, Jorah the Andal. What do I have to gain? If I win, I'm the shit who killed an old man. If I lose, I'm the shit who was killed by an old man.

~ Daario Naharis

Offline Barto

• VIP
  • PPLV Clan Co-Leader
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 08:45:30 pm »
You should not miss Canada if you are going to USA. Its wonderful country to visit. Best peroid to visit is spring. Good luck. Happy journey.
I was first planning to also visit Canada, But because of the length of my trip I want to visit it another time. But I might visit Niagara Falls :P

Woah, I've always wanted to travel as well but I'm still a student ,I hopefully will one day.

You really need a camera,a DSLR. I've had it for a year now and God, it just adds a lot touch to any place you go. Recording in high quality is a bonus but you already have a GoPro so you don't need that feature but photography,yeah buy one..

I can't really suggest the places as which I've not visited myself but I can I'd say why not visit the real LS, Los Angeles, California US. Don't go in groove St obviously lol. It would be fun to actually see it in real. If you're into cars I think Beverly Hills is a must visit since all riches live there and like Lamborghinis pass often. I'll be like a boy at candy stores seeing it omg. This is all based on my views based on seeing things on internet so excuse me if some local has anything different to share.

Also, why not do oneof those challenges ... A picture a day or no shave ... They look dope.

Another camera would be a good idea. Friend of mine got a few he don't use anymore. I might buy one of him :) .

How could I forget to mention Los Angeles! It is on my list but forgot to post here. I will sure visit it (and going to find Groove St XD). And I will at Beverly Hills to my list, didn't think about that yet.

I was thinking to make a vid like that at the end of my journey. But not the same, but with my own twist.

If you like to drive, Why not roadtrip in the US instead? Saw this clip a while ago. Pretty interesting actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K30NUv28sHs&t=

Funny you would mention that. My initial plan was to do a roadtrip in the United States. But the more I learned about it the more problem it found. First problem i had was that there isn't much work for backpackers and the US don't give out a lot of working visa for backpackers. If i wanted to roadtrip in the US I needed a job so I could work on a van and earn some money. And the chance of visiting other country's was a little bit less because of the financial problems I would ran into.

That is the reason I choose for Australia, Lots of work for backpacker, good paychecks and I could visit the US and Japan and still qualify for a working visa in Australia.

But I as I said to Son_Gun I am still planning to visit Canada, Might go on a detour with my a Motor to the US. Who knows, Traveling brings joy to life.

yes! he can roadtrip it will be a good trip seeing around the U.S an fimpen i saw that clip a couple hours ago an yes its pretty good! :p

I will roadtrip, but not in the US. Might find some other backpackers to travel with on the road, if not there is always the bus XD

Wow! Good luck! I'd love to see your vlogs

Thanks! You bet ya. Got a few tools for vlogging, not quite sure which to use, so you will hear that later.

No India? Wtf....

Who knows? Might go on a detour. US, Japan and Australia are the country's were I am sure about. Might chance my mind after that :D

Not a bad way to burn a few thousand euros x) have fun

I thought the same thing!

Offline SoLoD

• Youtube stunting channel
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 09:06:47 pm »
But first visit the eastern part of Europe
Make sure you are not gotta go too "eastern" because it is a very bad way to end your "casual" travel.  :P
You know the nice thing about the Bronx Zoo, Charlie? There's bars between you and the monkeys.

Offline Barto

• VIP
  • PPLV Clan Co-Leader
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 09:43:14 pm »
But first visit the eastern part of Europe
Make sure you are not gotta go too "eastern" because it is a very bad way to end your "casual" travel.  :P
I know XD been to Russia a few years ago. That was a little too Far East for my taste 😂 (was during election time😧) I know it isn’t Europe, but you know what I mean

Offline Ege

• VIP
  • Score: 39828
  • |m|
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 10:18:08 pm »
Dayum I hope I'll be able to do this kind of stuff. As of now the best I could do was moving to Germany xD

Offline COBRA

• PTP Member since 2006
  • VIP
  • PPLV Clan Founder
    • PPLV WebPage
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 10:25:07 pm »
Wow man! Your dream trip starts soon :) Very exciting really! I think you should visit some little towns in USA.

I will tell you one of my target destination town in USA, I don't know if it's on your route or not. But I suggest you to see that beautiful little town mixed with nature of country side :)

Jackson Hole, Wyoming It's not famous, it's like just a random town in USA, but I like the feeling of being in Jackson Hole streets. Because it looks like pure countyside life :D

●  PPLV Website - PPLV Clan Topic  ●

Nostalgia..

Offline Hicham

• VIP
  • Score: 10910
  • She heard what he said and she had no regrets
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2018, 10:37:57 pm »
just don't come to algeria coz once you get in there is no way out lol :D
I hope you find a love that's true so the morning light can shine on you.
I hope you find what you're looking for so your heart is warm forever more. cv?

Offline YoMama

• VIP
  • Score: 24630
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 07:06:08 am »
If you want a small town worth visiting in California, I'd recommend some of the Gold Rush towns in the northern parts of California. There are plenty of fun roads to ride, plus lots of mountain biking opportunities and cool things to see. San Francisco is a very cool city- San Fierro features many of the places and things I would recommend visiting in San Francisco.

Downieville, CA (population: 282) would be a worthwhile stop for the small-town aspect, plus it's a great place to use as a base to go elsewhere- Lake Tahoe, nice places to ride off and on road (Mountain biking competitions are held there, there are also plenty of fun roads to ride motorcycles on: here's the ride in, here's State Route 89 nearby), nice hiking to very cool views (Sierra Buttes USFS fire lookout hike, Yuba River), etc. It's also only about 3 hours away from San Francisco, less time than a lot of people spend in LA traffic.

I personally dislike LA and most of Southern California, mainly because of the culture. The entire place is superficial. LA is built in the middle of a desert, and as a result has to take water from Northern California and other rainy areas to maintain its green grass and swimming pools. The city is glitzy and glamourous without much charm apart from the tourist destinations. As mentioned, the traffic sucks. GTA's parodies of LA have a lot of basis in reality. People from SoCal seem to care more about what you possess and how you look than what you actually are. However, I don't fault you for wanting to visit. You will recognize Los Santos, particularly in the smog.

I have a friend who worked for SpaceX in Florida. He hated the state. He saw a lot of launches, many of which were postponed. If you're going to be spending more time on the West Coast and/or you miss a launch, you might be able to catch one at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California- check their launch schedule and the weather forecasts (I almost saw one in CA, but it was postponed due to weather).

Jackson Hole, Wyoming It's not famous, it's like just a random town in USA, but I like the feeling of being in Jackson Hole streets. Because it looks like pure countyside life :D
Sorry to ruin it for you, but Jackson is actually pretty well-known here, mainly because it's often the only town that people can name in Wyoming, but also because it's a famous skiing location and the gateway to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. It's a tourist destination, and therefore somewhat artificial and ritzy compared to your average American small town (though it still retains a lot of local culture).