Author Topic: Communications privacy  (Read 17319 times)

Offline LPCOLTER

• VIP
  • Score: 1832
  • Of course it's me.
Re: Communications privacy
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2018, 02:02:21 am »
I was told that they can also read your /dub messages. +1
they can basically read everything you type inside that box, /dub *message*
is read as it is a command is being used.

Offline Saurabh

• VIP
  • Score: Unknown
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2018, 10:51:11 am »
I was told that they can also read your /dub messages. +1
they can basically read everything you type inside that box, /dub *message*
is read as it is a command is being used.
The script can record everything typed in the console but it doesn't. Else admins will be seeing everyone's passwords, or storing them (just in case someone forgets his password, which has happened in past , and owners/admins couldn't tell the player his old password).

I have always heard that the script doesn't record /dub command inputs from the console so feel free to use it.

Offline Shark_The_Helicopter

• pablo dicasso
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2018, 12:02:11 pm »
PM Regulation Suggestion:

If these has existed for years and there has been countless PM exchange from Numerous players and there hasn't been a case of Privacy Violation, then what more proof of responsibility does one need.

Admins should know what the fuck is going on.
Once I was told by an Admin that some "admins" enjoy reading player's PMs its literally their hobby!!!
Can I ask you the reliability of this statement?
1-limit this to level(0/1) players
I understand that Lvl2s are overall more reliable than Lvl0-1 due to Consistency. But anything below Lvl3 doesn't give a foolproof reliability level. But I don't trust all Lvl2s since morons like LoDs and VIP Aimbotters have existed. And for that I  trust our Admins with monitoring them.
limit /PM contenant to level 5 admins or higher(they are trustworthy)
Lvl5s don't even appear too often,Jonne is only comes barely for a few hours per day and both Fimpen and Friauf are a rare sight to see.
Lvl4s are worthy enough for the job. I don't really doubt any Lvl4.
If anything, If this is accessible to Lvl3s then I am surely against it. Not as good enough to trust as Lvl4s.

Regardless of any of the concern and potential problems, there is a lack of a case of privacy violation.
These are Admins that we are talking about not normal players without any sort of responsibility approved by already responsible people.

IRC Suggestion:

Big +1
But it's already gonna be added soon.

[To be added]See team chat On IRC ? Time to chg it.
I don't think it's that much of a big deal as people are making it out to be, and I don't really believe there will be a lot of people that are monitoring the teamchat to learn the other team's strategy. Also, I still believe it has more of a positive impact on the community, for example people who aren't able to play can still keep in touch with the game like that, and have some sort of idea what's going on. But, as some people have pointed out, maybe it's better to not echo the teamchat at all, to prevent any abuse. We'll disable it in a future update.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 12:07:48 pm by Lohit_The_Noob »
%

Offline Chetan

• VIP
  • Score: 23203
  • No time for bullshits
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2018, 12:45:44 pm »
PlanB admins are spying on us? Are they leaking our privacy? Is PTP turning into Facebook? OHH FUCK!

I'd support only the IRC Suggestion.

I don't think admins or anyone would have time for reading 100+ PMs and Dubs and most of the time, if I talk in PM I use my local language.
Admins I challenge you to understand my fucking PMs. xD
"The problem of most people is, they get confused between being beautiful and looking beautiful.

Offline SaiFi

• VIP
  • Score: 95932
  • What's fame, When I rule the fuckin game
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2018, 03:08:09 pm »
+1

Offline MegaPilot

• VIP
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2018, 05:56:09 pm »
I have never been comfortable using private messages in Plan B for this reason. I really watch what I say because I always think that someone is reading it. And often someone is, and that's just not correct imo.

+1

Offline Saurabh

• VIP
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2018, 06:21:15 pm »
"admins don't have time to read 100+ useless PMs"
Trust me they do. I can bet that if you were admin and if u were bored babysitting those securities at armour, u'd choose to camp at civ spawn instead and read people's PM instead, which i don't think is wrong or risky but it is still creepy and uncomfortable to even send PMs when you know someone can read them anyway.

Offline Zeta

• VIP
  • Score: 141542
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2018, 06:42:51 pm »
I have never been comfortable using private messages in Plan B for this reason. I really watch what I say because I always think that someone is reading it. And often someone is, and that's just not correct imo.

+1

Offline Uthar_Smith

• VIP
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2018, 07:05:04 pm »
Guys you need to get off the idea that admins enjoy reading PM's or anything like that. This ability is there for reasons stated above, all with the purpose of moderating the server.

Yes, it is possible for admins to be freaks and spend their day reading PMs, sitting at spawn. But I think I speak for (at least) the majority when I say we don't do this because 1. It's boring as hell and 2. We're not freaks.

What's more important is that all PMs (among other things) are sensitive information that cannot be shared or used in the public in any way. This rule is very strict and multiple admins have been demoted in the past for violating it, so you don't need to be suspicious or distrustful of admins.

Also, I second Lohit's reply
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 07:09:00 pm by Uthar_Smith »

Offline lax

• VIP
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2018, 07:05:50 pm »
"admins don't have time to read 100+ useless PMs"
Trust me they do. I can bet that if you were admin and if u were bored babysitting those securities at armour, u'd choose to camp at civ spawn instead and read people's PM instead, which i don't think is wrong or risky but it is still creepy and uncomfortable to even send PMs when you know someone can read them anyway.

How we will know that this feature is removed even though it is announced ?

Offline Nikola

• Head Admin
  • Score: 59064
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2018, 09:45:09 pm »
Admins do have access to a certain amount of sensitive player data. Its purpose is not to invade the privacy of the server's players, but to remove unwanted elements (cheating, rule breaking, ban evasion, scamming, harassment) from the server. For example, players are monitored ("spied") so they could be helped if they're stuck/bugged, or to determine whether they're guilty of cheating or breaking the rules. Also, if administrators weren't able to see players' IPs, exposing ban evaders would be next to impossible.

Reading private messages of players is also something admins are able to do. However, what I said above is likewise true for this ability. It helps admins in preventing violations such as excessive insulting, spamming, harassment, scamming, false representation (especially pretending to be a mod/admin) and /q jokes. These are the occasions when admins are truly "interested" in players' private messages. VIP players sometimes also take part in such acts. Apart from that, admins have too much of a great range of other duties to be peeking at every message. The kind of people who would make looking at players' messages a "hobby" usually do not make it into the admin team - especially with the current 3-month mod system in power.

Furthermore, leaking private information is considered to be the greatest violation of staff duty - even greater than blatant in-game abuse. It is grounds for permanent demotion. Staff members have been demoted for this reason in the past.

2-limit /PM contenant to level 5 admins or higher(they are trustworthy)

It would be helpful if you could provide arguments as to why you think level 4 admins are untrustworthy. If an admin shared yours or anyone else's private information, you are more than welcome to report that. As I have already mentioned, such actions are not tolerated in this server.

Offline LPCOLTER

• VIP
  • Score: 1832
  • Of course it's me.
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2018, 10:23:03 pm »
PMs like these can be a good source of entertainment
[01:42:13] <DarwiN> {33CCFF}[22] {FFFFFF} /pm 16 BB RoSe I  LOVE YOU <33333333 XDDDDDD :*

[01:42:18] <DarwiN> {33CCFF}[22] {FFFFFF}shit :o

[01:42:22] <Magic.> {CCCCCC}[9] {FFFFFF}Lol

[01:42:23] <[IDF]LP_> {CCCCCC}[0] {FFFFFF}well
so yeah the above person would clearly be offended when he gets to know that his every pm is known to admins (if they do read such stuff)

Offline Aksel

• VIP
  • Greatest of all times
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2018, 10:38:08 pm »
It would be helpful if you could provide arguments as to why you think level 4 admins are untrustworthy. If an admin shared yours or anyone else's private information, you are more than welcome to report that. As I have already mentioned, such actions are not tolerated in this server.

1- Yes they do, back to old ptp, once COBRA had publicly leaked a discussion logs between Goldy and an other player. Everything he did is he replaced their ID by Mr.A and Mr.B , would you be comfortable if someone does this to you?
2- back to GgT + SLp vs NO + PPLV war, one of admins was leaking information, he was copying logs but he was telling us what others are saying or planning to do.
3- Lacerta used to share players PMs on Teamspeak server just to make fun of players.

Guys you need to get off the idea that admins enjoy reading PM's or anything like that. This ability is there for reasons stated above, all with the purpose of moderating the server.

Yes, it is possible for admins to be freaks and spend their day reading PMs, sitting at spawn. But I think I speak for (at least) the majority when I say we don't do this because 1. It's boring as hell and 2. We're not freaks.

What's more important is that all PMs (among other things) are sensitive information that cannot be shared or used in the public in any way. This rule is very strict and multiple admins have been demoted in the past for violating it, so you don't need to be suspicious or distrustful of admins.

Also, I second Lohit's reply
I don't want to mention names...
One year ago, there was 2 level 4 admins, Mr.A was ingame with me and was speaking with me on /PM about Mr.B and how he enjoys reading all users PMs... and in few hours Mr.B joined the game and he started a conversation with me saying that everything Mr.A said wasnot true.
My question was, how  Mr.B knew that Mr.A was talking to me about Mr.B, if Mr.B didnot read our private  conversation? see? its funny!!!!!

How we will know that this feature is removed even though it is announced ?
I was aware of this point but it's not hard to know!

Admins I challenge you to understand my fucking PMs. xD
Well that depends on person, most of people dont like, I myself i don't feel comfortable when i know that my information arenot protected or something i say can be used against me IRL
I can advise you to spend sometime on internet learning about these things and grantee to you that you wont like it.
Now I have one question for you, How would you react when you see someone sneaking on your phone reading your messages or when someone is spying on your phone calls?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 10:47:21 pm by Aksel »

Offline Miau

• VIP
  • Score: 46079
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2018, 10:42:30 pm »
I support this suggestion.

1. It's not a matter of personal privacy, PTP isn't the place to talk about your personal life with relatives and friends. It's a matter of fairness. Admins are players as well, and ability to read PMs can give them an advantage in many occasions. And you can't really avoid this, because you don't know if it's privileged information until you have already read it.

2. Insulting and spamming via PM are none of admin's business since every player can choose whose messages to receive with /ignore and /blockpms.

3. In case you haven't read the original post, this is about making admins unable to read messages to/between levels 2+. Do you really think that /q jokes or admin impersonations is something that levels 2+ can be victims of?

4. The only occasion when this could be helpful is to determine if someone is covering up a ban evader. But, seriously, do we need such a drastic measure considering there has only been one ban (Ahmed's, as far as I know) for covering up a ban evader since this server was opened almost two years ago?

Now my own contributions to the suggestion:

1. Hide PMs to/between levels 1 with more than 10 hours online as well. I think this is a good number to determine when someone is a regular and, therefore, a bit more trustworthy than average.

2. Do not tell us if you decide to accept and implement this suggestion. Why would you do so? It's better to keep players controlling themselves via PMs if they think they are being watched, while the system becomes fairer by keeping privileged information away from admin-players.
Oh! I don't want to fight you, Jorah the Andal. What do I have to gain? If I win, I'm the shit who killed an old man. If I lose, I'm the shit who was killed by an old man.

~ Daario Naharis

Offline Matt

• Polski American
  • VIP
  • Score: 1564
  • An IT enthusiast and gadget geek
    • MattMski
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2018, 12:07:51 am »
-1 Always loved reading drama and seeing pms showed people's' true colors but is also very useful for ban evaders. /Dub however should be hidden completely

-1 For the second suggestion because that would be impossible to code unless you linked things together, user/data wise.

RD og, Ex Admin. Been playing PTP since 2011 (Tenshi's PTP, not Jonne's)