Author Topic: Communications privacy  (Read 17301 times)

Offline Nikola

• Head Admin
  • Score: 59064
Re: Communications privacy
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2018, 01:14:43 am »
1- Yes they do, back to old ptp, once COBRA had publicly leaked a discussion logs between Goldy and an other player. Everything he did is he replaced their ID by Mr.A and Mr.B , would you be comfortable if someone does this to you?
2- back to GgT + SLp vs NO + PPLV war, one of admins was leaking information, he was copying logs but he was telling us what others are saying or planning to do.
3- Lacerta used to share players PMs on Teamspeak server just to make fun of players.
All of these incidents occurred a year and a half or more ago and no similar incidents have been recorded since. Also, the aforementioned staff members are no longer a part of the staff team. I fully understand your skepticism, but such misuse of sensitive information is fairly easily discovered and dealt with.

1. It's not a matter of personal privacy, PTP isn't the place to talk about your personal life with relatives and friends. It's a matter of fairness. Admins are players as well, and ability to read PMs can give them an advantage in many occasions. And you can't really avoid this, because you don't know if it's privileged information until you have already read it.
I agree, occasionally you can acquire information that can give you an advantage against your in-game opponents. But why is it fair for level 5's to read private messages and not for level 4's? Hypothetically, they could also use this information to outmanuever their opponents. Also, considering level 4's have access to this information, why do they (past and present level 4's) rarely appear in Top 10 statistics lists or have impressive K/D ratios? Because it's very far away from the top of our priority list.

2. Insulting and spamming via PM are none of admin's business since every player can choose whose messages to receive with /ignore and /blockpms.
I believe that players should be discouraged from taking part in such actions, to make it clear to them that they are still breaking the rules - whether the players that receive such PMs are ignoring them or not. The system sometimes mutes such players for half a minute, but this is far from a discouraging measure. If the system could be modified to give longer and longer mutes with each spamming, then maybe this problem could be partially amended. However, players that flame/insult/harass/scam in PMs don't necessarily need to be spamming mindlessly and therefore, the system can't recognize it as rule breaking. Also, if this isn't level 4 admins' business, why should it be level 5's business (especially considering they are not necessarily very active and are not expected to be)?

3. In case you haven't read the original post, this is about making admins unable to read messages to/between levels 2+. Do you really think that /q jokes or admin impersonations is something that levels 2+ can be victims of?
Just because it doesn't work doesn't mean that such players shouldn't be warned and monitored. Again, it would be great if the system could take care of it on its own, but I just don't see it.

Offline Miau

• VIP
  • Score: 46079
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2018, 02:25:07 am »
But why is it fair for level 5's to read private messages and not for level 4's?

It's not fair for level 5+, I didn't say it was haha. In fact, I don't think level 5+ need access to PMs either. After all, the only thing access to PM is actually required is to catch players covering up ban evaders, which has only happened once in server history. So, in my honest opinion, only Jonne (or even nobody!) is more than enough personnel to deal with it.

Also, considering level 4's have access to this information, why do they (past and present level 4's) rarely appear in Top 10 statistics lists or have impressive K/D ratios?

I didn't say it was unfair enough to take you to the Top 10 haha. My point is that the cure is worse than the disease. You have a group of 13 people receiving privileged information every hour of every day for... for what? To catch a minor rule-breaker once every few months, or even years?

However, players that flame/insult/harass/scam in PMs don't necessarily need to be spamming mindlessly and therefore, the system can't recognize it as rule breaking

Why would the system recognize flame/insult/harass/scam as rulebreaking? It is not rulebreaking.

Also, if this isn't level 4 admins' business, why should it be level 5's business (especially considering they are not necessarily very active and are not expected to be)?

I didn't say anything about the level! I said admins. Level 5's are also admins, head of the rest of admins, but admins (someone who administrates de server, by definition)  :)

I still don't understand why private message spam would bother you, a third person that has nothing to do. It may bother the person receiving it, and that person has all the power to stop it at any time.

According to your logic, when you get a cat and it pees on your living room carpet every morning, it will be Ok if I break into your flat and remove the cat. After all, you aren't the one who decides if you are willing to put up with the cat or not, are you, huh?

Just because it doesn't work doesn't mean that such players shouldn't be warned and monitored.

I have never seen anyone playing a /q joke on a regular player but, if I saw it, it would probably be obvious that it's happening in a friendly fashion.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 02:28:40 am by Mia »
Oh! I don't want to fight you, Jorah the Andal. What do I have to gain? If I win, I'm the shit who killed an old man. If I lose, I'm the shit who was killed by an old man.

~ Daario Naharis

Offline Fruiti.

• VIP
  • Score: 26670
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2018, 02:47:36 am »
just how can you be sure that mods arent seeing pms too?

"admins don't have time to read 100+ useless PMs"
Trust me they do. I can bet that if you were admin and if u were bored babysitting those securities at armour, u'd choose to camp at civ spawn instead and read people's PM instead, which i don't think is wrong or risky but it is still creepy and uncomfortable to even send PMs when you know someone can read them anyway.
yes lol, just like how spying-banning works. i think Karg as an jobless hobo guy
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 01:28:32 pm by Carg »
[12:59:15] <SatviK> {33CCFF}[15] {FFFFFF}Im not going to duel NOers as their member got banned for aimbots

Offline [ThunderStorm]

• Score: Unknown
  • The most warned guy in Plan B community!! level 69
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2018, 03:00:22 am »
hey pal.
This ain't the only server with this bs.
Deal with it  8)

Offline Darwin

• VIP
  • Good choice,Bad choice life still goes on
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2018, 03:11:08 am »
+1 for only letting the level 5s read the pms but it is still useful to find players who is ban evading or for the one who is covering the ban evader. I don't think they will do anything about it but it really uncomfortable  knowing  more than 1 person is reading your privet messages.

For the teamchat +1 but I think madman an I made an suggestion about it an they didn't do anything about it.

GG Aksel  8)

Offline [ThunderStorm]

• The most warned guy in Plan B community!! level 69
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2018, 03:13:44 am »
+1 for only letting the level 5s read the pms but it is still useful to find players who is ban evading or for the one who is covering the ban evader. I don't think they will do anything about it but it really uncomfortable  knowing  more than 1 person is reading your privet messages.

For the teamchat +1 but I think madman an I made an suggestion about it an they didn't do anything about it.

GG Aksel  8)

Can i have your autograph?
You are the worst youtuber ever.
Best*

Offline Nikola

• Head Admin
  • Score: 59064
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2018, 04:00:06 am »
@Mia, in your first post in this topic you stated that you fully agree with Aksel's suggestion and didn't explicitly disagree about the PM content being limited to level 5's only, which is why I assumed that by "admins" you meant level 4 admins. Alright, sure, if PMs were to be disabled for admins, the only objectively fair thing would be for them to be disabled for every single staff member.

Things like scamming or begging are not in the official rule list, but people have been warned (some even banned) in extreme cases for the nuisance it caused to other players. Flaming/insulting are also not officially included in the rules list (I expressed myself badly), but they can be indicative of a "fishy" behavior, as Aksel describes it.

Regular players are a bit of a "wild card". Most of them are perfectly honest players, but some are ban evaders that manage to rack up some hours without getting banned and some turn out to be common hackers. I don't think 10 hours of playtime is enough for them to be considered "trusted".

What if the "peeing cats" could be taught not to pee in other "houses" instead of having to be removed all the time?

In any case, if the vast majority of the server finds this practice problematic, I do suppose that employing certain restrictions (not as severe as the ones proposed in this topic) could be useful as an act of compromise. Though, since players would not be able to actually see these restrictions, they'd have to take the admins' word for it. On the other hand, not announcing anything could create an impression of server staff's indifference towards the players' wishes. Trust issues remain, any way you do it.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 02:23:12 pm by Nikola »

Offline Darwin

• VIP
  • Good choice,Bad choice life still goes on
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2018, 05:28:02 am »

GG Aksel  8)

Can i have your autograph?
You are the worst youtuber ever.
Best*

Offline Carg

• VIP
  • Score: 17525
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2018, 01:30:14 pm »
just how can you be sure that mods arent seeing pms too?

"admins don't have time to read 100+ useless PMs"
Trust me they do. I can bet that if you were admin and if u were bored babysitting those securities at armour, u'd choose to camp at civ spawn instead and read people's PM instead, which i don't think is wrong or risky but it is still creepy and uncomfortable to even send PMs when you know someone can read them anyway.
yes lol, just like how spying-banning works. i think Karg as an jobless hobo guy
Strive not to think in future. It's just not working with you.

@Mia, just like you have suggested numerous of things in the past ( cmds, notifications and etc), to be added to level 3 in order to make their job easier, level 4s have some things to make their job easier as well, and being able to monitor PMs is definitely one of them. Everyday we see regular players complaing about how slow admins/mods are handling reports. Believe me, if you want to take this from us, we'd become even slower in our decisions. I suppose you're going to ask me how this is helping us. Well some of the things were revealed in previous replies, but there are more, and believe or not, those things helped a lot in many decisions that have been taken.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 01:40:51 pm by Carg »

Offline Arabiane

• VIP
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2018, 04:51:21 pm »
+1
i hate when Carg can read all my pms.
this is the first time ever aksel write something useful here.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 04:58:22 pm by Arabiane »

Offline Magic

• VIP
  • Score: 42169
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2018, 05:00:59 pm »
Neutral
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 11:50:52 pm by Magic »

Offline Chetan

• VIP
  • Score: 23203
  • No time for bullshits
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2018, 05:04:40 pm »
+1

"The problem of most people is, they get confused between being beautiful and looking beautiful.

Offline Crash

• VIP
  • Score: 10053
  • aka Kobe
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2018, 05:27:21 pm »
One thing is sure,Carg is spying our PM's. Beware when he is online. Always use /dub

Offline Carg

• VIP
  • Score: 17525
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2018, 05:59:40 pm »
+1
Stuped, ofc im gonna read them if you pm me lol

Offline Faro0s

• VIP
  • Score: 22227
  • Sniper aimbotter. -PluG
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2018, 11:21:05 pm »
-1 for the first suggestion due to the reasons stated above by Nikola, Lohit and Uthar.
+1 for the second suggestion as I saw my beloved enemies leaking my own messages, very annoying.

-Fares

Since 2010.
• Reason for the report (Go into more detail about what they did):I killed ahmed and he tried to accuse me for killing him